Hungarian Romantics besides Liszt and von Dohnanyi

Started by LateRomantic75, Sunday 29 December 2013, 19:45

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

OK, here's a couple I missed seeing in the above lists.  They are gleaned from the 1950s Grove.

Rado, Aladar  (1882-1914)

Wrote a Symphony, a symphonic poem and a cello concerto

Szendy, Arpad  (1863-1922)

A piano concerto, a concert fantasie for piano and orchestra, Helicon suite

Buttykay, Akos  (1871-1935)
  Two symphonies, a Violin Concerto in b, symphonic poems, and at least two violin sonatas.

I am particularly fascinated with Mihalovich whose output, according to the same edition of Groves, would almost make him the Julius Roentgen of Hungary.  Nine cello sonatas, four piano concertos, eight symphonies, four violin concertos, twelve violin sonatas and the list goes on.  How could anyone that prolific be that unknown/?

Jerry

eschiss1

btw re Buttykay see
IMSLP which has one violin sonata and a piano sonata (and three other works), mostly downloaded from the scanning project at Debrecen University (which contains scans of a wide range of music early to recent, operatic and chamber, btw, Digitalizált kották @ Debrecen. I'd forgotten about that- that seems a good place to look again for more scans of Hungarian music, esp. if they've added to it since last I was there, though they have a lot more than just Hungarian music there.)

Alan Howe

I agree about Mihalovich. All I have heard of his are some very fetching, quasi-operatic songs on Hungaroton, but they are sufficient to make me wonder what a Wagnerite symphonist of this period in Hungary might sound like. If Beliczay is anything to go by, we might be very pleasantly surprised. BTW The latter's Symphony has been explored here:
http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,2981.msg33976.html#msg33976

DennisS

REe Beliczay Serenade/Symphony CD, have just spent 25 minutes trawling the Internet in the hope of finding a second hand copyof this CD. The CD, as has already been stated, is clearly no longer available, at least on the English sites I found. I did though find several Hungarian sites listing the CD but as I don't speak Hungarian I couldn't tell whether a used copy was being offered. There seemed to be a price listed however. None of the sites has an English translation option unfortunately. Even using a translation service, I would not be comfortable buying from a site that I did not fully understand. A great pity as this CD sounds really interesting, especially in view of Alan's comments. Hopefully it will be re-released one day but as it was only released in a limited run of 300 copies in the first place, I am not very hopeful!

giles.enders

Aladar Rado 26.12.1882 - 7.9.1914  I have been trying to find out more about Rado as it will be the 100th anniversary of his death later this year.  He was killed while fighting in Serbia.  He wrote three operas; The Black Knight 1911, The Golem 1912 and , Shylock 1914 as well as a Symphony, a Symphonic poem and a cello Concerto. I would like to know where the score of the cello concerto is.

eschiss1

Hrm. Will put that up in "things to have a look for somewheres..." (I see Jerfilm is interested also); Szechenyi Library does have a duo for clarinet and cello of his from 1906 in ms., though...