News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Julius Zellner 1832-1900

Started by giles.enders, Tuesday 05 March 2013, 10:48

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I did not know that the British Library digitized things (for general display, not just for one specific customer), or I forgot. Zellner's Op.10 "Melusine" is available for viewing (and possibly download?).

Gareth Vaughan

Interesting, Eric. I didn't know that either. I hope this continues with other scores they have. It's about time they made some of their vast holdings available to a wider public.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteThe Austrian National Library also has the score of the piano concerto.

Of course, Eric. I should have known to look there first. And thank you for the link to the record.

Reverie

Here is the whole symphony. It's just over half an hour in total. Good solid stuff!

Symphony No. 1 by Julius Zellner (1871)

Allegro
Andante   8' 30''
Scherzo   16' 34''
Finale      24' 52''
TT           32' 25"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMC_l1mEii0

eschiss1

Alan Howe

Seconded!! You'll note that I've added the exact total timing for information purposes - hope that's OK, Martin.

Alan Howe

Well, this is a very fine symphony, beautifully fashioned and balanced overall. So, why shouldn't it be played today? I can't think of a reason, except for the obsession with the received 'standard' repertoire. OK, there may be symphonic 'peaks' higher than Zellner 1, but the highest peaks are only there because of the lower peaks that surround them.

I thoroughly enjoyed this extremely well-written work. Thanks, Martin, for enriching our musical experience!

eschiss1

By the way there does seem to be a 2nd symphony, at least according to IMSLP. Maybe at some point the performing material will be available for that.

Thanks again!

Mark Thomas

It really is quite marvellous to have the opportunity now to experience such convincing realisations of major works like this, which otherwise would have continued to gather dust unheard. Thank you so much Martin, the music world owes a lot to you and your colleagues doing this work . I wonder, could I suggest Julius Otto Grimm's Symphony as a suitable project? Christopher Fifield, in his survey of the German symphony, regards it as potentially one of the most influential works of the romantic era. It would be wonderful to hear it.

Alan Howe

Mark's suggestion of Grimm's Symphony is one I'd thoroughly endorse. I also have the score, if that would help...

Reverie

Thank you all.

I have a considerable number of on-going projects most of which have been started with good intent but as of yet remain unfinished. This is not through a lack of discipline but more a case of spreading my time and enthusiasm over a broader canvas so to speak. It's refreshing to leave one work for a while and revisit another. I limit myself to a few hours a day.

Mark, the Grimm symphony attracted me a few years ago. I have worked on a good half of the first movement probably as far as the recapitulation. It is a long movement and it's quite eccentric. Not thematically very strong. To my ears it's reminds me of Bruckner without the heavy brass but then others might hear Brahms of cousre? I haven't really looked at the other movements enough to make a judgement. I'll complete the 1st mov.  in a few weeks hopefully or earlier if I pull my finger out.

Lots of other stuff to come though ...  as and when.  :)

Alan Howe

That's more than I dared hope for. The first movement of the Grimm would make for a fascinating listen - and, of course, we look forward to hearing whatever other projects you have on the go. Thanks again.

eschiss1

The score of the Grimm is also, I think, available at IMSLP (though not parts.)

Mark Thomas

My post above links to the score at IMSLP. Thanks, Martin, for at least looking at the Grimm first movement, that would be a real bonus. I very much look forward to the fruits of your other projects. :)

Ilja

Recently I've gotten involved with this sort of activity myself using the Sibelius/Noteperformer combo (can't afford Dorico, alas). And it has given me a renewed and increased respect for those who are so prolific in bringing us these works. The beautiful thing is that in the future, the results will only get better.

Now, on with Dopper's Fourth...