Delius and Bax chamber music this weekend in Virginia

Started by Finn_McCool, Monday 04 February 2013, 16:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Finn_McCool

I posted the following on a Delius discussion board, but I know there are a few folks into Delius on this board as well!

I am excited about this chamber music concert coming up on Sunday.  I have been pestering the founders of the IBIS Chamber Music Society for some time now to program some Delius and I finally wore them down!  Thanks to help from various Delians, I was able to put the IBIS folks in touch with the Delius Trust and they were awarded a grant for the concert.

The concerts that IBIS puts on at the Rock Spring Congregational Church are free (donations accepted) and well-attended, so I would advise getting there at least 15 minutes early to get a good seat as the church is not that big. 
The IBIS audience is very receptive to hearing to lesser-known composers, so I am hopeful that there will be people who discover Delius for the first time and become enchanted the way I did when I first heard his music.   

Let me know if you think you can make it to the concert.  I'd love to meet any Delians in the Northern Virginia/Washington, D.C. area!  If I can find my Delius Society button (I am still unpacking from a recent move!), I will wear it!

Music from the United Kingdom for harp and strings
Sunday, February 10, 2013 at 4 pm
Rock Spring Congregational Church
5010 Little Falls Road, Arlington VA

PROGRAM
Arnold Bax: Quintet for Harp and String Quartet
Ralph Vaughan Williams: Variants on Dives and Lazarus for Harp and Strings
Ralph Vaughan Williams: Fantasia on Greensleeves for Flute, Harp and Strings
Frederick Delius: The Walk to Paradise Garden (original arrangement by Joseph Scheer)
Frederick Delius: String Quartet

http://www.ibischambermusic.org/schedule

Alan Howe

Thanks for the heads-up. Before we head straight off into a discussion of the music, however, I'd just like to remind posters that UC is aimed specifically at unsung music...