Taneyev Symphony No.4 on Naxos

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 27 March 2010, 14:23

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

Quote from: Amphissa on Saturday 10 April 2010, 22:14

When I saw this post, I looked at my spreadsheet and was surprised at how many recordings I have of the Taneyev C minor in my collection.

Ahronovitch - London Symphony Orchestra (LP)
Rozhdestvensky - Moscow Radio Large Symphony Orchestra (LP)
Gauk - USSR Radio & TV Large Symphony Orchestra (LP)
Svetlanov - USSR Symphony Orchestra (LP)
Gunzenhauser - Polish Chamber Philharmonic Orchestra (CD)
Jarvi - Philharmonia Orchestra (CD)
Polyansky - Russian State Symphony Orchestra (CD)
Snitko - Academic Symphony Orchestra of St Petersburg Philharmonic (CD)

I love this symphony. In it, he reprises a main theme and  some other passages from the Oresteia Overture, which is structurally and musically something of a marvel to me.

I was just listening to this symphony again last week. I'm not sure why, but lately I have gravitated toward the Ahronovitch and the Gauk recordings. I don't think either of them ever made it to CD. But I know there are some in my collection (mostly CDs) that I have not listened to for quite awhile. I suppose that I need to buy the Sanderling CD and then have a Taneyev 4 smack down. What fun!

Another thing I noticed on this list is no American recordings.
Thomas :)

sdtom

After 3 listens of each I'm nearly finished wih my review but I have to give the nod to the Jarvi/Chandos recording followed by the new Sanderling with the Gunzenhauser a distant third. Of course the advantage of the new Naxos is the opportunity to hear the 2nd Symphony, a student work of some merit, as well as the price.

Alan Howe

The Järvi recording is one of the truly great recordings of a truly great unsung work.

sdtom

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2010/04/29/symphonies-nos-2-and-4taneyev/

Most if not all of you know the fine merits of his 4th Symphony but just in case have a read.