Gade Symphonies on Chandos

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 15 March 2013, 17:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Having neglected to listen to Gade's symphonies for some considerable time, I have returned to them via the absolutely marvellous performances with Christopher Hogwood conducting the Danish National RSO on Chandos. The decisive factor (at least in comparison with the very good Järvi set on BIS) is the superlative recording quality which lends such a glorious glow to Gade's often lovely orchestral writing. Sometimes it takes a particular set of recordings to re-kindle one's love for the music in question: Hogwood's certainly has done that for me with Gade's symphonies. There's enormous affection in the playing and terrific drive when called for. All in all, a set that until now had passed me by. Not any more...

kolaboy

I didn't think Jarvi's 6th could be bettered, but Hogwood just may have done so. Wonderful writing for the percussion in the last movement...

Hilleries

This set was one of my first big forays into unsung music, having read glowing reviews when I was searching for more from Hogwood.
I'm still undecided on whether I like the timpani or not :S , every time I listen to these recordings, I both like and dislike the sound of the timpani. I think I dislike it more than not, I'd rather have the open "whack" from timpanis, piercing the texture, and I don't feel that those do.

The rest about the performances are wonderful, imo.