Walford Davies Symphony 2 at EMF

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 18 March 2013, 18:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimfin

I find it sad that the BBC can't broadcast the whole festival, as it does the Proms. It is the main festival of our national art, but I suppose having a Prime Minister who likes pop can't help.

Mark Thomas

If he admitted to liking classical music it'd be one more "elitist" stick with which the levellers amongst us would beat him. I must say that I too am very keen to hear this work.

Jimfin

Personally I find 'pop pickers' the most elitist, especially the ones who insist that their 'brand' isn't pop at all but a completely different sub-sub-genre like hip-hop or blues or something. Whereas the last thousand years are dismissed as 'classical' and lumped in with film music. But yes, the culture of Casual has become unassailable. It doesn't mean anyone's nicer, of course: my bank might call me by my Christian name, but they are definitely not my friends, just impolite.

Jimfin

Sorry getting off topic. Though it might be added that the chances of someone of Davies' stature having the same size of audience these days seems slim.

dafrieze

I was lucky enought to attend that concert - all of it (except for Parry's "Jerusalem") unheard music by more or less heard composers.  The Walford Davies piece runs about 40 minutes and could best be described as "big-boned".  In his pre-concert speech, Lewis Foreman described the composer as one who (unless I misunderstood) was more interested in a good tune than in structural matters.  There weren't a great many good tunes in the symphony, to my ears, but it's certainly worth hearing every so often, in its semi-Elgarian way.  The performance (Martin Yates and the the BBC Concert Orchestra) was superb.  I do hope that Dutton records it - the impression was left at Foreman's presentation that it all came down to money . . .

Gareth Vaughan

It always does come down to money, but then why not record the live performance? That would be cheaper than hiring an orchestra and a recording studio. Or do a deal with the BBC to license their broadcast recording.

jerfilm

Did anyone manage to record this concert?

Jerry

Alan Howe

It hasn't been broadcast yet. No sign of it being broadcast in the coming week either.

Alan Howe

Great news, Joe: thanks ever so much for letting us all know.

Gareth Vaughan

May I put in a plea for someone to record this broadcast? I am free on 26th, but I have to be travelling all day Monday 24th  :'(

jerfilm

If nothing else, Albion sez he's going to record and put it up on the ArtMusic Forum. 

Jerry

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

BFerrell

Sometimes, I really love you guys!!!  :-*