Unsung Orchestral Variations (with or without closing Fugue!)

Started by bulleid_pacific, Monday 18 March 2013, 20:04

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

though I'd disagree here and there with those descriptions (e.g. I'm not sure quite how tonal some works by Myaskovsky are- quite a few works of his from the late 1920s/early 1930s- or some of Shostakovich's around the time of the 12th and especially 13th quartets (relatively speaking)- but some of that might be a matter of detail, depending...)

Alan Howe

Agreed, Eric, but we're talking broad generalities here.

Dave

Glazunov's Theme and Variations for String Orchestra is very good.
I would also love to mention Estonian composer Artur Kapp's Symphony no. 1 (with a wonderful variation last movement).
And lastly, Myaskovsky's Theme et Variations (string orchestra version).

TerraEpon

Glazunov's piece is supposedly originally for string quartet, however. and making a quick check of the score shows the double bass part pretty similar to the cello part. Fow whatever that's worth.

eschiss1

fairly sure that's true of the Myaskovsky piece which I think is originally from his Op.33 No.3 (D minor quartet, 2nd movement, the variations on a Grieg theme used to tweak Liadov should Myaskovsky's professor happen to recognize the theme (Liadov didn't much care for Grieg's music at all) - I am under the impression that however he did not...)

eschiss1

Clarification - by "orchestral" we're referring to just works for orchestra, no solo, nothing concertante? If not I'm happy to nominate the variations movement from Serge Taneyev's suite de concert, a fine and enjoyable movement of a quite good piece (I have Oistrakh's live recording, mistracked though the particular version - well, anyway.)

chill319

Quote...does anyone know of any pre-20th-century examples of Variations-and (leading up to)-a-Theme (pre-Vaughan-Williams, pre-Britten)...
The work that brought my attention to this inversion of the classical paradigm was d'Indy's Istar Variations (1896).

adriano

Don't forget Respighi's early "Variazioni sinfoniche" and Emile Jaques-Dalcroze absolutely charming "Variations on a Swiss song". Both no masterworks but abolutely concert-hall-worthy.
By Jaques-Dalcroze I will record one more CD in about a year or so, including a magnificent vocal cycle for sorprano and orchestra, of which I am presently editing the score.
Adriano, Zurich

Alan Howe

Quote from: hadrianus on Saturday 19 October 2013, 22:14
By Jaques-Dalcroze I will record one more CD in about a year or so, including a magnificent vocal cycle for soprano and orchestra, of which I am presently editing the score.
Adriano, Zurich

Sounds interesting. Can you tell us any more about the proposed contents of the CD?

eschiss1

Also interested. By him I've heard only the odd op.61 serenade for string quartet (and have seen the violin concertos in reduced score - I seem to recall they've been recorded) - intrigued by the announcement of the new CD...

adriano

It's a vocal cycle entitled "Tragédie d'amour". The work will be coupled with an orchestral suite entitled "La Veillée" and the Overture to his opera "Sancho"

Alan Howe

mahesi

I'm looking through my archive and found first:

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor: Symphonic Variations on an African Air op.63

Perhaps, I will find some more...

mahesi

Edward Joseph Collins (1886-1951): Variations on an Irish Tune (1932)
Ernest Farrar (1885-1918): Variations op.25 (bur for piano and Orchestra)
Herrmann von Glenck (Switzerland, 1883-1952): Variationen-Suite (1918, second Version 1930)
Paul Graener (1872-1944): Variationen über ein rusisches Volkslied
Edvard Grieg (of course no unsung Composer): Altnorwegische Romanze mit Variationen op.51
Robert Heger (The German conductor, 1886-1978): Verdi-Variationen op.23
Already mentioned in this forum:
William Hurlstone (1876-1906): Variations on an original theme (1896), Variations on a Hungarian Air (1897), Fantasy Variations on a Swedish Air (1903)

Not all of this compositions are perfectly romantic. Judge yourself. All are or at least were available ond CD

To be continued...

mahesi

Julius Röntgen (1855-1932): Variationen über eine norwegische Volksmelodie
Franz Schmidt (perhaps no unsung Composer): Variationen über ein Husarenlied (1931), Konzertante Variationen über ein Thema von Beethoven (1923, for piano and orchestra)
Schostakowitsch: Theme and Variations op.3 (One of his earliest compositions. Date of composition given as 1915(!) - 1922)
Arthur Somervell (1863-1937): Normandy - Symphonic Variations (but for piano and Orchestra)
Maximilian Steinberg (1883-1946): Variations for orchestra op.2
George Szell (the famous conductor): Variations on an original theme op.4

End of the list...

As I mentioned before:

- Not all compositions are truely romantic
- All are or were available on CD

Martin