Lisinki's opera Porin

Started by JanOscar, Tuesday 19 March 2013, 11:29

Previous topic - Next topic

JanOscar

This is a VERY nice opera indeed without too many echoes of contemorary influences. Thanks!!
Please note that instead of Act 2 you have uploaded Act 3 two times instead.....Can you fix?
Thanks Jan

Christopher

Thank you very much BerlinExpat (and Mike!).

I greatly look forward to listening to this.

Just one thing though - the link you provide for Act 2 is actually the same link as for Act 3..... Would you have a link for Act 2?

Christopher

Hello again BerlinExpat - I am very sorry to ask you this after you have been so kind, but please could you confirm the tracks?

When I load the tracks into I-tunes, I get the following:

"Act 1" is listed as 1 of 5
"Act 3" is listed as 1 of 5
"Act 4" is listed as 2 of 5
"Act 5" is listed as 3 of 5 ...

Richard Wagner

Jerry

The Act 2 file is for Act 3, as is the Act 3 file. Could you upload Act 2 again.

Thanks, I am enjoying the recording immensely.

Richard

BerlinExpat

Sorry about that. Mediafire confused me at first with everything shown in the reverse order. I hope this is right.

Porin: Act 2  http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bsc73l08mmmczfz

The link in the download section for act 2 should now be correct.

Alan Howe

I have made it clear in the downloads post that the correction has now been made.

Mark Thomas

Thanks for this upload, Colin. For those struggling with the Croatian libretto ( ;)), here's a summary of the action, culled from a Croatian language web site, and creatively edited:

The libretto is inspired by an event from the early history of the Croats in Dalmatia recorded by Constantine Porphyrogenitus (De administrando imperio) in the 10th century when, under the leadership of Prince Porin (in the first half of the ninth century) they rebelled against the cruel Frankish government under its leader Kocelin. Dimitrije Demeter, author of the libretto, modified the historical record and added - as usual - a love story, in which Porin is in love with Zorka (the Croatian daughter of Ljudevit Posavski), but is loved by Kocelin's sister Irmengarda. Such a love triangle gave the librettist and composer a good foundation for a drama portraying individual characters.

The first act shows the tragic events after the Frankish victory over the Croatians and the death of their leader Lujudevit Posavski. One of his deputies, Porin, was not captured by the Franks and the Kocelin wants to seize his property. He weaves a conspiracy to lure the Croatian noble to a ceremony and kill him. His sister Irmengarda, who is secretly in love with Porin, discovers a secret meeting and overhears her brother's plan. The second act is set in the hills, where Zorka, the daughter of Posavski, lives in seclusion with her grandfather Sveslav. Porin is in love with her, and Sveslav has promised him her hand when he returns victorious from the conflict with the Franks. In the third act Kocelin realises that his plan has failed and berates Irmengarda for loving Porin. However, he has captured Zorka and Sveslava and places Zorka's life in the hands of his sister. Meanwhile, Porin has triumphed over the Franks and is bent on revenge, thinking Zorka already dead. In the fourth act Kocelin trys to escape the invading Croats. Irmengarda visits Zorka and Sveslava in prison and attempts to persuade Zorka to give up Porin in exchange for her freedom but, seeing the constancy of her love, decides to release them both. In the fifth act the Croatians celebrate victory, Kocelin dies and Irmengarda, damned by her brother and despairing over her loss of Porin, stabs herself with a knife. The people, moved by such a fate, express their compassion, both for her and for the defeated Franks.

Alan Howe

Oops - forgot to record this from BBC Radio 3 this afternoon. Has anyone remembered to do so?

If not: Here's an old-ish video recording on YouTube (better sung, but in indifferent sound):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT0b38sy364

The composer: Vatroslav Lisinski (1819-1854):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatroslav_Lisinski

Mark Thomas

I'm recording it and I'll post it if it turns out OK.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

By way of a bonus, I've also uploaded Lisinski's first opera, wonderfully titled "Love & Malice". It's here.