Napoléon Henri Reber - Piano Trios from Timpani

Started by M. Henriksen, Tuesday 19 March 2013, 19:15

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

I don't know the French language very well, but from reading the article linked below; I understand that Timpani will release a disc containing Napoléon Henri Reber's Piano Trios nos. 3, 5 & 7 in the spring. There are also excerpts from the recording.

http://www.timpani-records.com/seance_19.php

Morten

jonah

According to the Presto Classical website, this is due for issue on 5th August.  Presto also has has sound samples of all three works, which have sparked in me an interest in a composer I only knew the name of before.

petershott@btinternet.com

Amazon mailed me yesterday to the effect that they had posted this Reber disc. So presumably it is released. I was hoping for it in the post this morning, but no such luck. Perhaps tomorrow. For good or ill I always tick the '1st class mail' box on the Amazon order form rather than 'next day delivery'. Support Royal Mail I say before those delinquents who govern our condition (in the UK that is) dismantle that treasured institution. Besides, I certainly don't want hordes of white vans scuttling through the countryside to deliver CDs to the likes of me.

Apologies for digressing from Reber with a rant. However Royal Mail existed in the Romantic age so must be a Good Thing.

Like you, Jonah, I'd come across the name before - but I have never heard a note of the music. It promises to be a thing to be enjoyed.

Peter1953

An interesting find, Morten!
The audio excerpts sound very promising...... For me a discovery and, here I go again, a must-buy.
BTW, his Symphony No. 4 doesn't sound bad at all. That is to say, the audio samples of this first recording (jpc made a mistake, nos. 1 & 3 are the same). Maybe rather predictable music, but worth listening. The last movement sounds a bit nervous to me. If you buy the CD, you will have another performance of one of Liszt's warhorses...

eschiss1

Holoman's book "The Société des Concerts Du Conservatoire: 1828 - 1967" has some interesting things about Reber's relations with the association. (And about Farrenc's, too. An overture of hers was premiered by them April 5 1840, if I read right, and one of her symphonies conducted there in 1849 also. I think Reber wrote at least one of his symphonies for the Société, possibly no.3? - will have to read further here...)

(Ah. Also from the book, later, in a concert 20 June 1889, "To the repertoire developed long before, they added an aria from Cherubini's Les Abencerages, the Andantino from Reber's 3rd symphony, ...")