Discography of French Concertos

Started by Mykulh, Friday 29 March 2013, 23:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Mykulh

For those who are interested, my new Discography of French Concertos has just appeared on MusicWeb International. Hope you'll take a look and let me know if there are recordings I missed or supplied incorrect information for.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/Ntl_discogs/French_concertos/French_concertos1.htm

Thanks,

Michael Herman

Mark Thomas

Thanks, Michael. Fascinating, as ever.

JimL

There's a YouTube by a Finnish cellist of an Op. Posth. Cello Concerto in A minor by A.F. Servais. It has apparently never been recorded, and the only published concerto by him is the one in B minor, Op. 5.  Is there any source of information on this work?

Mykulh

Jim, glad you pointed this out as this composer was unknown to me previously. Perhaps what you are referring to is this release I found on a website devoted to this composer:

Didier Poskin, cello & KBS Symphony Orchestra conducted by Patrick Davin (2011)

Morceau de Concert - opus 14 (15:03)
Fantaisie burlesque sur le Carnaval de Venise – opus 9 (13:34)
La Romanesca (6:03)
Concerto en Si mineur – opus 5 (25:06)

Release:•'François Servais. Cello Concertos Nr. 1 & 2. Fantaisie Burlesque - La Romanesca' (CD),
Fuga Libera, FUG593 (2012) 
You can order this CD from the Servais Society: click here 

I'll now have to add Servais to the discography. That's why I visit the Unsung Composer forum several times a day.

Many thanks,

Mike

Mykulh

Just noticed. Servais was Belgian, not French. Now I realize why I missed him.

Alan Howe

A fascinating discography, Mike - and I've only got up to Chausson!

eschiss1

Jim: "The only published concerto by"... Servais might've been nonplussed that you missed his Concerto militaire, Opus 18.

Mr. Herman- interesting. The reissue of that disc calls his Morceau de concert his concerto no.2? That would make the opus 18 his concerto no.3... hrm. (But yes, a discography of Belgian concertos would interest too, and I'm not pulling your Legley.)

giles.enders

Very useful and an interesting read.  Thank you.

JimL

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 02 April 2013, 00:02
Jim: "The only published concerto by"... Servais might've been nonplussed that you missed his Concerto militaire, Opus 18.

Mr. Herman- interesting. The reissue of that disc calls his Morceau de concert his concerto no.2? That would make the opus 18 his concerto no.3... hrm. (But yes, a discography of Belgian concertos would interest too, and I'm not pulling your Legley.)
I saw that Concerto Militaire on the Servais Society website, and it is a different work than the A minor, as is, I would say, the Morceau de Concert.  If anything, the Militaire should be the Cello Concerto No. 2, and the A minor would then be the 3rd.  There is a YouTube of a Finnish cellist, a young woman whose name escapes me (as many Finnish names do) playing the A minor.  Unfortunately, the makers of the video only posted "1st mvt", "2nd mvt", etc. rather than the tempos.  I have inquired at the Servais Society website to a certain M. Peter François for more information.

Mykulh

Don't you think this Servais discussion deserves it's own thread, as it has been determined that it has little to do with this discography?

JimL

Quite - if it turns out there's anything more to discuss...  :)

eschiss1

I would like to add one thing if the Servais is not going to become another thread ;) - The A minor concerto of Servais was published in piano reduction, in 1887, by Schott in Brussels. If you want the movement headers, Jim, finding a copy of that reduction might be just the thing (and I wouldn't mind seeing it uploaded to IMSLP.)

Alan Howe

OK, back to the topic, please. If anyone feels so inclined, they can open another thread on Servais...