Karl Weigl Left Hand PC & VC

Started by Mark Thomas, Tuesday 09 April 2013, 12:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Thanks Richard Wagner for the post of the two Karl Weigl concerti in the Downloads board. Enjoyable, and quite impressive, late-romantic fare. For those that need such things, the details of each piece are:

Karl WEIGL (1881-1949)

Piano Concerto in E flat major for the Left Hand (1924)
I. Allegro
II. Adagio
III. Allegro
Norddeutsche Philharmonie Rostock conducted by Florian Krumpöck (piano)
25 March 2013, Großes Haus des Volkstheaters, Rostock

Violin Concerto in D major (1928)
I. Allegro
II. Largo
III. Allegro molto
Norddeutsche Philharmonie Rostock conducted by Florian Krumpöck
David Frühwirth (violin)
25 March 2013, Großes Haus des Volkstheaters, Rostock

There's an excellent, comprehensive site on Karl Weigl here, from which I have culled these details. Weigl wrote two piano concerti, by the way, the other a later work in F minor for both hands.

Alan Howe

Posted elsewhere by new member georghann and relocated here:

Thank you for the uploads. With the 5th symphony, pleasant music.

minacciosa

The Weigl Left-Hand Piano Concerto was actually conducted by Manfred Hermann Lehner.

M. Henriksen

I thought these works are supposed to be, or already have been recorded by Crystal Records?
Same orchestra and artists as well.

Morten

Alan Howe

There's no mention on their website.

M. Henriksen

I know, but this is a quote from the website of violinist David Frühwirth: "Es folgen noch heuer weitere CD Produktionen: u.a. Violinkonzert von Karl Weigl mit der Norddeutschen Philharmonie Rostock unter GMD Florian Krumpöck. Studiotermin ist Ende März in Kooperation mit Deutschlandradio Kultur Berlin"

http://www.davidviolin.com/2012/wordpress/?page_id=759

Let's hope so!

Morten

M. Henriksen

Honestly, there's no mention of the left-hand piano concerto. But I would put my money on both concertos on the same disc.

Morten

M. Henriksen

Or not.. This is what conductor Florian Krumpöck wrote on his webside three weeks ago:

"Von Deutschlandradio Kultur, dem Geiger David Frühwirth, der bei unserem Konzert Weigls Violinkonzert von 1928 interpretieren wird, und einem renommierten CD-Label kam dann der entscheidende Vorschlag, das Violinkonzert, beide Klavierkonzerte, sowie die Sonate und zwei Charakterstücke für Violine und Klavier von Weigl auf CD einzuspielen"
http://www.floriankrumpoeck.com/

Both Piano Concertos on one disc and the violin concerto, violin sonata + on the second!?
There's a possibility!

We'll just have to wait and see, and then hopefully write a new topic in New recordings in, hopefully, the not so distant future.

Morten

Alan Howe

Oh well sleuthed, Morten! Thank you.

minacciosa

The Violin Concerto and the Left Hand Piano Cincerto were recorded during the last week of March.

Though the Left Hand Concerto is quite genial (except for the second movement), I would not call Weigl a composer of pleasant music. He is a serious thinker who always seems to be wrestling with the big issues. Light and humor are not his hallmarks, though there are exmples of both among his output.

eschiss1

Well, the first symphony, say, was-- pleasant, but noways, not any at all, light. Unless my ears and mind were quite entirely malfunctioning, I heard lots of quotes (Mahler, for instance) in unusual places in it- disorientingly so. 
Between the symphonies, sonatas, quartets, etc. I've heard I incline to agree with you anycase; overall serious (and well-crafted, and -- I hope to hear more; glad to hear these works are being commercially released and hopefully more often heard, too. Good news, again. Thank you.)
Eric

minacciosa

Weigl showed a tremendous growth from his early works to those of his maturity. While there were not stereotypically three periods, there is a definitive change from the first Sumphony and second string quartet. In truth, the first quartet sounds nothing like the mature Weigl of the third quartet, which is intimated in the second. The second Symphony is also a manifestation of the mature Weigl, though still not congealed. In the third Symphony Weigl finally arrives.