News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Jacob Blumenthal

Started by mikehopf, Saturday 08 June 2013, 07:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

Quotehis short piano pieces and songs achieved considerable popularity, though his efforts at larger pieces did not meet with similar success.

Does anyone know what these "larger pieces" might be - or if any of them have survived. The remark is very glib and I wonder on what evidence the writer bases it or whether he has seen any of these "larger works". This is the sort of sloppy musicological writing we are used to with unsung composers and we shouldn't be prepared to put up with it.

eschiss1

the piano trio in question, I think may be one such work? (I see no mentions of others- no other chamber works, no oratorios, symphonies, operas, etc.)

Gareth Vaughan

If that trio is an example of his "efforts at larger pieces" then it's a great pity they did not meet with "similar success" as the trio strikes me as a fine and memorable work. Are there any other chamber works, I wonder.

Mark Thomas

I do agree about the quality of Blumenthal's Trio. Unlike Nixon's similarly-long Piano Trio of a few decades later, none of the movements outstays its welcome it's welcome, and the material is both memorable and used very effectively. I've heard many worse pieces.

Alan Howe