News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Piano Phantoms

Started by Rob H, Tuesday 09 April 2013, 09:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

Where, please? I can't see it. Probably being stupid.

thalbergmad

Me neither.

Perhaps it is a phantom file.

Thal

Rob H

Hopefully it has appeared - it just had ot be ascertained that this wasn't a commercial release.

kolaboy

Jonathan

Indeed, many thanks from me too - really nice to hear the Halka Fantasy without any edits!

thalbergmad

I know I should not be critical as I cannot get anywhere near the Halka, but it is a little bit labored in parts. That saying, this is obscenely difficult and must have taken some nerve to play live and his interpretation is going to be different to mine.

The highlight of that lovely little batch of pieces for me was the Herz, as the pianist really did let himself go and even brilliantly extended a run, as if the music is not brilliant enough. The clarity of the playing here is exceptional.

I know what i will be practicing tomorrow. I dedicate tomorrow to Herz.

Thal

thalbergmad

Has anyone ever recorded the Fantasie Op.7 by Alois Tausig, who was the father of Karl and pupil of Thalberg??

I have given it a going over and thought it worth a performance.

Thal

kolaboy

Risking a slight topic shift: Why have Carl Tausig's COMPLETE  works not been recorded? I'm speaking mainly of his original compositions, and not the transcriptions...

arpeggio

Quote from: kolaboy on Saturday 13 April 2013, 23:25
Risking a slight topic shift: Why have Carl Tausig's COMPLETE  works not been recorded? I'm speaking mainly of his original compositions, and not the transcriptions...

The Acte Prealable/Artur Cimirro complete Tausig project sadly appears to not have reached fruition, which is a shame.

Quote from: hammyplay on Friday 12 April 2013, 15:29
I've posted the file of Halka - there's also a couple of other goodies there.

Thanks; these are most enjoyable.

Gareth Vaughan

Mike Spring told me some years ago that he'd like Hyperion to be in a position to record Tausig's original piano music (there's not that much, of course), but he hadn't found the right pianist yet.

eschiss1

I seem to recall a concerto or similar work by him was mentioned at some point though- hopefully it might still be tracked down.

Gareth Vaughan

I think we can forget about the Tausig piano concerto, Eric.   Dannreuther mentions it in his article for Grove but gives no details, and extensive research by a number of musicologists, far more eminent than I, have failed to locate it, or even show that it ever existed.  We only have Dannreuther's word - Tausig himself makes no mention of having written a concerto in any of his extant writings (or so I have been assured).  Mike Spring spent some time in search of it for the RPC series but had to admit eventually that he was probably chasing a chimaera.
Were a PC by Tausig ever to be discovered, what a thrilling work that would probably be!