News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Liszt and Lassus

Started by eschiss1, Monday 22 April 2013, 13:38

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Leslie Howard, in an interview for Fanfare Magazine on his Liszt project for Hyperion, mentions a Lassus transcription Liszt made (for organ?) at some point. (I do see, in volume 1 of a projected EMI series of complete Liszt organ works that we have at my local public library, an Ave Maria attributed- not entirely correctly (in provenance)- to Arcadelt, among other things.) Any idea what work Howard is referring to, and what Liszt was basing his transcription on (a published edition, a manuscript available to him when living in Rome, etc.?)

TerraEpon

Regina Coeli Laetare, S 663 is a transcription of something by Lassus. The ONLY info the liner notes to my recording of it (the 'complete' (not) organ works on Arte Nova) is that he wanted it to be played together with said Ave Maria.

Here's the original done by someone on a computer - http://imslp.org/wiki/Regina_coeli_laetare_%28Lassus,_Orlande_de%29

eschiss1

Thanks!! I think there just may be additional info in one or another book at books.google.com, will have to have a look.