Rufinatscha 3rd Symphony (not) discovered in Innsbruck

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 31 March 2010, 21:38

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

namoji

waowww ... I consume the excitement of this discovery, the sad thing is that I have not had the opportunity to hear the music of this composer, here in central america the truth is too difficult and costly to acquire good records, and this type is truth impossible, they will know of a link to listen to some radio rufinatscha on YouTube or online? please, curiosity is killing me, I listen ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ :'(

JimL

Sorry, Namoji.  This guy's REALLY obscure.  There has been some chatter about some local orchestra here in the States performing the 5th Symphony, but I haven't heard whether this has ever come to pass.

Peter1953

That's a good one, Alan!

But I had a little hope that your next post informed us about Professor Decker's other spectacular discovery, namely the score of Rufinatscha's unknown Seventh...

Alan Howe

JimL

So what is the truth, then, Alan?  Is there more material to be sifted through, or have the Rufinatscha manuscripts donated to the Museum all been mined out?

Josh

Alan Howe

Quite. Seems no-one has a dictionary.

As for the state of things in Innsbruck, I have no idea. But if there were an undiscovered symphony there, they'd have found it by now...

eschiss1

There is a "3rd" Rufinatscha symphony in D major op. 13 described in this Allgemeine musikalische Zeitung article (http://books.google.com/books?id=2mEPAAAAYAAJ , page 32) - the opening theme of the first movement of the work (Adagio molto - Allegro) (D halfnote - Fsharp double-dotted quarter- A eighth - Csharp halfnote- D quarter) is given , followed by themes from the rest of the first movement, from the E-flat major scherzo, the G minor Adagio, and the D major allegro moderato alla breve finale. Does this match the movement pattern of any of the known Rufinatscha symphonies (making "3. Sinfonie" in the header of the article a misprint maybe)? Even more, do the themes given in the article (found by searching for Rufinatscha Johann at books.google.com of course) match the main themes of one of those symphonies (full score, or the one that's only now in piano score)? Alternatively, might this article (very very unlikely unto infinitesimally) have incipits from the lost symphony?

JimL

The Op. 13 is the Symphony #6, Eric.  Sorry, but that is either a misprint or an error on the part of the author.  Or perhaps it's some sort of listing number that has nothing to do with the numbering of the symphony.

eschiss1

Ah, interesting. Thanks. Do all the extant symphonies have opus numbers, by the way?
Eric

JimL

Apparently the 5th doesn't, nor the does the 1st, at least according to the notes accompanying the CD.  I don't know if the booklet neglected to mention opus numbers or if there weren't any to mention.

Hofrat

Generally, opus numbers are set by the composer and the publishing house at the time of publication.

JimL

I couldn't find a more recent Rufinatscha thread to put this in, but Rufinatscha's 5th was performed in Philadelphia last August, at least according to this.  Has this guy Kevin Scott been a member of either this forum or the Raff Forum?  In any event, I'd be curious about how the performance went, and what sort of reviews the symphony got in the local papers.

P.S. I think he may be our member KLScott.  He hasn't visited us for a while, though.