News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Johan Svendsen

Started by sdtom, Saturday 29 August 2009, 15:50

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

I just finished a short review on a new recording from Naxos on the music of Svendsen who may be an unsung composer.

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2009/08/28/norwegian-rhapsodiessvendsen/

Thomas

JimL

THIS is the guy whose wife burned his 3rd Symphony.  I wonder if his Cello Concerto will ever get recorded?

Gareth Vaughan

It was recorded, Jim, on the old NKF label in LP days - and very lovely it is too. Sadly, this recording has not made it to CD. There is certainly a compelling case for a new recording of this beautiful work.

sdtom

I'm surprised that it has never been recorded again.

Hofrat

Who in blazes is Joseph Svendsen??  Do you mean Johan Svendsen!! 

Alan Howe

Quite! Thread suitably re-named!

JimL

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Monday 31 August 2009, 09:40It was recorded, Jim, on the old NKF label in LP days - and very lovely it is too. Sadly, this recording has not made it to CD. There is certainly a compelling case for a new recording of this beautiful work.
Well, if there were ever a compelling case to get Hyperion on the ball for its moribund Romantic Cello Concerto Series, this would be it!

Alan Howe

Trouble is, Jim, it's rather short, so there would be a need to add maybe two other works to make a CD of the right sort of length. I can see why this may cause Hyperion some problems, even though I agree that their RCC series does seem moribund. (More's the pity - especially with a cellist of the ability of Alban Gerhardt in their stable.)

JimL

How about Herbert 1?  Maybe the Sullivan?  Are there any other short Scandanavian CCs, or maybe even a decent long one?

petershott@btinternet.com

Maybe (not for the first time!) I'm missing the point? All these posts are dated 2009, and of course since then the Vc Cte has been recorded in Vol. 2 of the current Chandos series.

Alan Howe

semloh

Joseph Svendsen, four-year old thread - the funniest exchange for ages!  That's set me up for the rest of the day! ;D ;D ;D

JollyRoger

Quote from: petershott@btinternet.com on Thursday 25 April 2013, 12:56
Maybe (not for the first time!) I'm missing the point? All these posts are dated 2009, and of course since then the Vc Cte has been recorded in Vol. 2 of the current Chandos series.
As a result of this post, I have removed my Utube listening links and will discontinue the practice of posting them.
I would encourage others to do the same.

eschiss1

Even on IMSLP (where we do try very hard to avoid going down a second time for copyright reasons within our control) linking to possibly or actually copyrighted material has at worst a somewhat less definitely "no!" quality, I gather...