Composers with only one, but great symphony

Started by jani, Sunday 05 May 2013, 15:54

Previous topic - Next topic

LateRomantic75

Quote from: saffron200 on Wednesday 11 December 2013, 14:16
Anyone who likes Czech/Bohemian symphonies could do worse than a listen to the Symphony in A major by Otakar Ostrcil. I don't think it has been mentioned on this thread yet. A 'happy' work, full of great melodies and a joy to listen to.

Thanks for bringing that one up-I recall enjoying it quite a bit. Ostrcil's Suite for Large Orchestra (recorded by Supraphon) is a more modern-sounding and equally excellent work, which reminds me more of Mahler or Rudi Stephan than Dvorak.

dhibbard

Oh  I have been listening to Chausson: Symphony in B Flat  all week long... what a wonderful work.  Wish we had others from Chausson.    The Chandos release is what I've been playing.  Any other versions that might be comparable?

eschiss1

Do sinfoniettas count (in Ostrcil's case- or Moeran's?) I'm guessing unfinished symphonies don't (in Chausson's, e.g.)

alberto

Of the many versions of the Chausson Symphony i have heard, I would prefer Munch (old acceptable sound).. Among the relatively recent, Fournet.

dhibbard

musiclover said How about the Symphony of Felix Blumenfeld.

Yes I would agree his Symphony is wonderful..... the recording on RussianDisc is esp. my favorite.

Alan Howe

Reasons, please! Otherwise this is just another list.

dhibbard

yes that is what I have on the CD player now.

FBerwald

Blumenfeld symphony imho shines with the best of Tchaikovsky's pathos and lush string writing but avoids (again a very personal opinion) the excess of Tchaikovsky's sentimentality. It's a very powerful work.   

adriano

A reminder: Sylvio Lazzari's Symphony in E-Flat! Still in the tradition of Franck's and Chausson's, but with more dissonant chords and more complicated rhythmics. And much more difficult to play!
And in Switzerland: Robert Ouboussier's Symphony of 1935/6: a great work I am struggling to have recorded since ages!