Madetoja Symphony no 3 and Okon Fuoco broadcast

Started by jani, Monday 06 May 2013, 19:16

Previous topic - Next topic

jani

I noticed that no-one has announced performance of Leevi Madetoja's 3rd Symphony and Okon Fuoco Suite with Helsinki Philharmonic and John StorgÄrds. Performence was on 18th April. You can still listen it for some days at:
http://areena.yle.fi/radio/1840456

And I must also warn anyone who listens this concert further than the first 2 pieces that are by Madetoja, after the intermission there will be first performance of the neo-romantic Finnish composer's work for Indian singer and orchestra sung in Tamil.  ;D

Alan Howe

Thanks for the information. Please remember, though, that contemporary music lies beyond the remit of UC.

Alan Howe

"Tonality" is not enough, as the explanation of our remit makes clear. HĂ€meenniemi, therefore, lies beyond the scope of UC.

jani

Anyway, here is an excellent performance of Madetoja's 3rd symphony.

There is interesting fact that Madetoja wrote also 4th symphony. According to Madetoja the only copy of the score of the 4th symphony was stolen while he was in Paris and it was never found. At that time Madetoja was already drinking heavily so he didn't have strength to write the score again. This might explain also why the 3rd symphony sounds like a transitory work, to me it fells that 3rd is promising something new about Madetoja's way of writing symphonies and this might have been fullfilled in the 4th.

dhibbard

something related but not directly,  I have the LP box set of the complete orchestral works of Madetoja, and there is a chart in the booklet starting in 1904 to 1936 of Madetoja works as compared to other Finnish compositions and to Other western music... the western music is quite well known and not unsung, but it was interesting to see what other compositions were being created from the Finnish composers during that time frame....   I'll try to get it up here in the next week.