Rubinstein Symphony No. 5 reissue

Started by sdtom, Wednesday 24 July 2013, 19:36

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

was it Anton or Nicolas Rubinstein who taught Tchaikovsky, or both?... I need to look these things up/remember/etc. ...

sdtom

Anton founded the St. Petersburg Conservatory where Tchaikovsky became one of the first students. His brother Nikolay founded the Conservatory in Moscow.
Tom

Alan Howe

I've been listening to the Naxos reissue - a very nice CD indeed which I bought mainly for the Faust piece which was apparently supposed to be part of a Faust Symphony. However, I really can't work up any more enthusiasm than in the past for the Symphony - Rubinstein's full of good, attractive ideas, but with little apparent notion of how to knit them together in a convincing symphonic argument. Instead there's a lot of seeming repetition which quickly palls - I kept saying to myself 'not that bit again' in the first movement in particular. It seems to me that he's at his best in the rather lovely slow movement where full rein is given to his (considerable) talent for melody. But too often I just don't know where he's going.

Alan Howe

...just to add: I find Faust a far more interesting and arresting piece than any movement in Rubinstein's numbered symphonies. Perhaps it's a shame he never completed his projected Faust Symphony of which this was supposed to be the opening movement. The music is certainly immensely powerful, often glowering in tone. The CD is worth the low asking price for this piece alone. Who knew? I certainly didn't!

sdtom

Perhaps I need to listen to the Faust again. I got very little out of it.
Tom :)

sdtom

As is many times the case additional visits to a work improve the listening experiences. I raise my opinion one notch on the FAUST and I too wonder why Rubinstein abandoned the project.
Tom :)

sdtom

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/07/28/symphony-no-5rubinstein/

This is a revised review of the release. Keep in mind that individual tracks can be downloaded for $3.99. If you've not registered with Naxos you're entitled to five free tracks. Just a thought.

Alan Howe