News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Christmas operas

Started by savvy, Friday 24 May 2013, 10:19

Previous topic - Next topic

savvy

I'm trying to make a list of operas which have something to do with Christmas. There are two categories of such works: 1) operas which were first staged/performed during the Christmas days (december 8th-26th) - also, operas composed for Christmas, and 2) operas whose action is set or partially set in a Christmas time.
The most famous of them are Haensel und Gretel (1) and La bohème (2), but there are a lot of not-so-wll know works to be listed, too.

Of the first category I know at the moment only three works, two by Humperdinck: Haensel und Gretel (December 23th), Die sieben Geislein (December 19th), and one by Pfitzner: Das Christ-Elflein (December 11th).

Of the second category I know a bit more titles: Puccini's La bohème; Alfano's Resurrezione; Zandonai's Il grillo del focolare and I cavalieri di Ekebù;  Hermann's Wuthering Heights, Pfitzner's-Das Christ-Elflein, and, I suppose, Goldmark's Das Heimchem am Herd. I cannot remember at the moment of Respighi's Marie Victoire is partially set in a christmas time, too.

Do you know other titles?

Gareth Vaughan

Surely Menotti's Amahl and the Night Visitors falls into both categories.

Gooseguy

How about these two:

Vakula the Smith by Tchaikovsky and Christmas Eve by Rimsky Korsakov  - both have scenes on Christmas Day  (both based on the same Gogol story)

Finn_McCool

I always think of Massenet's Werther when I think of Christmas, but there are some really intriguing suggestions here that I will seek out!

Gauk

Is it not a bit early in the year to be thinking of this?

Jimfin

Boughton's Bethlehem, an actual nativity opera. Also Bridge's 'The Christmas Rose', though it's a bit past the era of this site

eschiss1

Wilhelm Kienzl's "In Knecht Ruprechts Werkstatt" Op.75 (described by Operone as a Weihnachtsmärchenspiel and premiered on December 25 1907 in Graz.)

Operone also lists among operas premiered on Christmas , Eduard Kunneke's Die lockende Flamme Op.32 (premiered December 25 1933 in Berlin) ; Leroux' Les Cadeaux de noël (premiered Christmas 1915 at the Opera-Comique) ; Alfred Bruneau's Les Quatre Journées (conte lyrique) (Christmas 1916) ; Vandenbroek's pantomime Le Génie Assouf ou Les Deux Coffrets (Christmas 1795, Paris) ; etc.

mikehopf

Here's one for the opera buffs:

Which opera ends with the word "Christmas" ...or its linguistic equivalent ???

Alan Howe

Quote from: mikehopf on Saturday 25 May 2013, 08:26
Which opera ends with the word "Christmas" ...or its linguistic equivalent ???

We've already mentioned it. Werther by Massenet.

mikehopf

Not the one I was thinking of... try again!

Hint: Natale..Natale

savvy

Thank you all very much for your suggestions! And many thanks especially to eschiss1 for his list of operas premiered on Christmas!
How could I forget Werther??

@Gauk (it's that not the name of the actual President of Germany?) - no, by this weather I think that argument to be very appropriated  :P

@mikehopf it's then an italian opera? I should know it... hmm

Gauk

Quote from: savvy on Saturday 25 May 2013, 23:48
@Gauk (it's that not the name of the actual President of Germany?)

No, that is Joachim Gauck. (I should say, yes, that is me! For all you know ...) Actually I am borrowing the moniker from Aleksandr Vassilievich Gauk, the conductor.

regriba

I think the opera that ends with "Natale" is Leoncavallo's version of "La Boheme".

Alan Howe

Quote from: regriba on Sunday 26 May 2013, 13:07
I think the opera that ends with "Natale" is Leoncavallo's version of "La Boheme".

Quite right. They are Mimi's last words.

eschiss1

... Natale means birth. It does not have an intrinsically holy meaning... or, capitalized, a meaning attached to one specific reli... eh.. .never mind...