Evencio Castellanos (1915-1984)

Started by febnyc, Sunday 15 July 2012, 17:04

Previous topic - Next topic

febnyc

The music of Venezuelan composer Castellanos is vividly recorded on this Naxos disc.  Highly recommended for its beautiful evocation of Latin color and folk tunes.  An enjoyable CD.

alberto

Some months ago I had the luck to hear "Santa Cruz de Pacairigua" in a live concert by the S.Bolivar Youth Orch. under Diego Matheuz (they have recorded the work under G.Dudamel). Indeed the Naxos is an entertaining Cd.

Latvian

Indeed, very enjoyable! His Piano Concerto, from 1944, was available recently from a Spanish radio streaming website, may still be there. Sorry, I don't remember just now which one.

JollyRoger

Quote from: Latvian on Monday 16 July 2012, 22:59
Indeed, very enjoyable! His Piano Concerto, from 1944, was available recently from a Spanish radio streaming website, may still be there. Sorry, I don't remember just now which one.

It is here..
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/audios/america-magica/america-magica-vuelta-venezuela-26-02-12/1348184/

semloh

I can only assume that since this thread was approved, Castellanos counts as a romantic composer, but I am a bit surprised because the pieces on the Naxos CD would surely not qualify.  ???

Mark Thomas

I agree, Semloh. It's an old thread from before the re-focussing of the Forum and I hadn't twigged that it had been reopened. I've locked it now.