Awaited CPO Recordings

Started by Gareth Vaughan, Thursday 30 May 2013, 18:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

I learned today from Franz Groborz that the recording sessions for Holbrooke's "Auld Lang Syne" Variations with the Brandenburgisher Staatsorchester, scheduled for May, have had to be postponed. This is a pity as this work would have completed the disk containing Holbrooke's VC and The Raven. Franz does not yet have a new date.
HOWEVER, disappointing as this undoubtedly is for us, the reason the sessions were postponed was so that the orchestra could finish recording the Jadassohn symphonies. The last session was today. So, at least, these are now in the bag and - who knows? - we may get an autumn release.
Someone (not me) may like to write to Herr Schmilgun and say we are all looking forward to the Jadassohn.

Alan Howe

I'm very disappointed for you Gareth, but very pleased to hear about the completion of the recording of Jadassohn's symphonies. Shame we couldn't have had both.

I'm sure if we send an email to...
cpo@jpc.de
...the message will get through!

Gareth Vaughan

I'm very pleased about the Jadassohn too. Don't get me wrong. When I wrote "not me" I just meant that I'm always pestering CPO.

Alan Howe

jerfilm

Wonder what ever became of the Hausseger – Hymn of the Night that CPO was supposedly coming with, oh, gosh, at least a year ago.....???

Jerry

Mark Thomas

It'll be in that huge pile of recordings marked "recorded but not yet issued" in cpo's store cupboard. I'm a fan too, needless to say, but it is very frustrating waiting so long for some of their releases. They recorded all of Raff's string quartets about four or five years ago and so far only two of the seven have appeared...

Gareth Vaughan

I agree, Mark. The rest of the Raff string quartets would be a joy to have.

petershott@btinternet.com

Quite. The failure to complete the issue of Raff quartets is one of my eternal grumbles. I appreciate other members will have things dear to their hearts that they anxiously scan through 'new releases' each month hoping to spot. But in the case of these quartets the series has commenced (some years ago), and, as Mark says, all the recordings are in the can already. All very frustrating!

Gareth Vaughan

I am advised that the recording of the "Auld Lang Syne" Variations is currently scheduled for February 2014.  A long wait, but Howard Griffiths says he is determined to get it in the can then.

Alan Howe

Good news, Gareth. And well done too to Howard Griffiths for pursuing the project so single-mindedly.