Fuchs Symphony No.2

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 09 June 2013, 18:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Heartfelt thanks to Mathias for the upload of Fuchs' Symphony No.2. At last a performance and recording worthy of the piece - so much better than the commercially available one on Thorofon, grateful though one was to have had that for so long. Marvellous: finally this life-affirming symphony is heard in all its heroic E flat glory. Wonderful!

britishcomposer

I just listened to the broadcast talk about this performance: it was said that Karl-Heinz Steffens and the WDR Orchestra are about to record the complete symphonies anew. No. 3 has already been done, No. 2 will be recorded next and No. 1 follow in due course. No information about the label, though.

petershott@btinternet.com

Excellent news! Thanks for imparting it to all here. I'm grateful for those older Thorofon discs since without them I wouldn't have had any knowledge of the Fuchs symphonies. But I've long suspected they don't do real justice to the works.

So far I can't recall hearing any dud Fuchs (so to speak). There's some really lovely chamber music, and the two recent Naxos discs of the Serenades were real revelations. I suspect these symphonies will be recorded by CPO - hope I'm not in my second childhood before their release!

Alan Howe

Well, at least we have this superb upload of No.2 from Mathias. Many thanks again.

Gauk

Wonderful news for this Fuchs addict!

eschiss1

Very many thanks! Of the Thorofon recordings no.2 made the least impression relatively (I really have enjoyed that of no.3, and the opening of no.1 sticks in my mind) so I look forward to this opportunity to get to know it better- and perhaps to hear the other two in better performances, too.

semloh

I must add my thanks, too, Mathias. All Fuchs very gratefully received!  :)

Mark Thomas

Yes, many thanks Mathias. A classic upload!