News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Unsung Piano Composers

Started by Alkanator, Saturday 01 June 2013, 20:43

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

BTW Lisa Hardy's book "The British piano sonata, 1870-1945" (Boydell Press, 2001), devotes part of chapter 2 to Ashton.

Gauk

I might just add by-the-by with regard to listening and buying habits, that my attention perks up when I see the title "piano sonata" and drifts away if I see "five pieces for piano" - even though the latter might actually be more attractive.

Alkanator

Quote from: mbhaub on Monday 03 June 2013, 15:41
My favorite unsung piano composer is Tchaikovsky. As an orchestral composer he is the antithesis of unknown, but how many people know any of his large solo piano output? Well worth seeking out.
This is true for a number of composers. For instance, although rather limited quantitatively, Dvořák wrote some good piano pieces, such as 'Twilight Way' from his Op.85.
Quote from: Gauk on Wednesday 05 June 2013, 20:21
My attention perks up when I see the title "piano sonata" and drifts away if I see "five pieces for piano" - even though the latter might actually be more attractive.
The same happens with me. Certain dance-names tend to turn me away, especially waltzes for some reason.

eschiss1

Some piano works by Tchaikovsky may have been recorded for the first time for the BBC Stravinsky-and-Tchaikovsky "marathon" a few years back...

minacciosa

Walter Bricht (1904-1970) http://www.walterbricht.com/composer.html
Among other things, seven piano sonatas. Sound files at the link.

TerraEpon

Quote from: eschiss1 on Thursday 06 June 2013, 01:33
Some piano works by Tchaikovsky may have been recorded for the first time for the BBC Stravinsky-and-Tchaikovsky "marathon" a few years back...

Maybe a couple at most. The only existing pieces not recorded by Postnekova on Erato are Anastasie-Valse, The Little Rifeman (a student work I believe), a short version of a waltz from Op. 40, an early version of Natha-Valse from Op. 51 (recorded on Naxos), and a piano sonata movement (completed and recorded by Leslie Howard on Hyperion).
-

PaulRx4

Not exactly unsung piano composers, but neglected composers include some favorites who have composed remarkable works.
these include  Charles Griffes, Julius Weismann, Ernesto Lecuona, Sergei Bortkiewicz (fully Romantic style).  Enjoy.
If anyone wants i will submit a long list of Russian and Hispanic composers, many unsung, mostly neglected.   Paul Rx4

Alan Howe

A briefer list of highlights with descriptions would be most welcome.

eschiss1

Well, we did have that long thread of composers who were who in 1913...

thalbergmad

I have spent a bit of time with the proto/early romantics. Here are my impressions.

Kalkbrenner - Always had a soft spot for the Effusio Musica. It is crying out for a fresh recording. Had immense fun with the Rule Brittania Variations.

De Meyer - More transcriptions as opposed to original works, but this chap is more than a charlatan. Transcription on Ernani, Il Trovatore, Lucrezia Borgia..... typical of the age, but I would love to hear them played. Awkward stretches, jumps and some pretty horrific trill work puts them out of reach of the average hack (me).

Herz - if you do not like the Op.45 nocturnes, you have no soul.

Tausig - His Ungarische Zigeunerweisen is a match for anything by Liszt in my opinion and his take on Weber's Invitation to the Dance is my favourite of all transcriptions bar none.

Tomasek - I am deeply in love with his Tre Allegri Capricciosi di Bravura Op.84. Lovely melodies well woven together. Many romantic hints.

Blahetka - the Polonaise on you tube is Chopin on steroids. Hugely enjoyable.

It is too hot to continue.

Thal

Gauk

Incidentally, mention should be made of the new series of Raff piano music recordings on the Grand Piano label.

Alkanator

If he can be counted as within the scope of the forum, I think Jan Ladislav Dussek is also worth mentioning. Especially his 28th piano sonata "L'Invocation."

eschiss1

It's not up to me, but I find his stuff fascinating (only sometimes "proto-Romantic", but fascinating and quite good one-way-the-other, in my honest opinion :) )

Alan Howe

Discussion of the 'proto-romantic' is fascinating and entirely welcome here...

kolaboy

One recording I've found myself returning to quite often is the ARTA cd of Vaclav Tomasek's Eclogues for piano (Op.35 & 51). Very engaging pieces from a composer that I'd neglected to explore to any great degree...