News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Unsung Piano Composers

Started by Alkanator, Saturday 01 June 2013, 20:43

Previous topic - Next topic

kolaboy

Déodat de Séverac is another composer of piano pieces who has been well worth exploring. I know him primarily through his piano compositions, however...
Have any of his stage works been recorded?

petershott@btinternet.com

Yes - the fairly early opera 'Le Coeur du moulin'. And a splendid recording it is on Timpani released in 2010. (Fully agree - the piano music is gorgeous stuff).

kolaboy

Thank you - shall track this recording down  :)

eschiss1

I recall that Botstein in an interview in Fanfare awhile back (about 2005, when his recording of Chausson's Roi Arthus was issued) touched on one of Severac's operas and seemed to be considering staging it (Heliogabale, according to a quick check?) - I don't know what came of that (or if a recording was made available, if that happened.)

petershott@btinternet.com

As far as I'm aware, Eric, nothing came of it. A pity.

semloh

What little of the piano music of Ignaz BRÜLL that I've heard suggests an unfairly neglected body of romantic piano music. Anyone familiar with it, and willing to give an overview?

Alkanator

I know Fibich also wrote wrote quite a bit. Has anyone looked into his piano works?

eschiss1

Certainly if by anyone you mean any pianists. There's a whole series of CDs of selections (at least) from Fibich's cycle Nálady, Dojmy, a Upominky (Moods, Impressions and Souvenirs) (Op.41, 44, 47, 57, at least?) which I gather are quite good, sensitive, memorable works... :) (Edit: er, whoops. This clause no adjective.)

If by anyone you mean anyone here, I haven't yet, but I know I mean to, as a listener. (Like I said, they get quite good reviews as a cycle, as does Suk's About Mother and other works. As to Suk I've heard a quartet arrangement of one of his piano cycles, courtesy of Matesic, and I liked it very much. Of Suk's works my favorites are still the 2nd string quartet (op.31) and the Ripening-Asrael-Epilog trilogy, but - well - anyway! :) Sorry. Maybe a little post-Romantic at that...)

Alkanator

I came across the name Rufinatscha on this forum, and was wondering if anybody knows where the scores for his piano works can be obtained. I take it they're not available for free online anywhere.

thalbergmad

The manuscripts are held here

http://www.tiroler-landesmuseen.at/html.php/de/tiroler_landesmuseen 

The gent in charge is very relaxed about copies being taken. At least he was when a friend of mine visited in person.

Not much appears to have been actually published.

Thal

Alkanator

Now if only libraries allowed inter-continental loans...

eschiss1

Actually, Hofmeister lists rather a few Rufinatscha piano works published (though I'm not absolutely positive they're all by "our" Rufinatscha. E.g. The op.9 sonata in F published in 1857 is listed as being by "Jos." Rufinatscha- whether this is an alternate name for Johann Rufinatscha or a different person, I don't know. Could also be a Hofmeister typo). What do you mean by "not much"?

(E.g. sonata in F minor Op.5, published by Witzendorf of Vienna, 1847; 3 Marches Op.4 dedicated to Liszt, published by Pietro Mechetti in 1849; Grand caprice Op.5(? opus number is unclear in the ÖNB scan of Hofmeister's listing) dedicated to Schumann, published by Witzendorf in 1851; Rondo capriccioso op.6 published by Spina, 1852... etc. (Up to op.18 Sonata in D minor, pub. 1880 by Haslinger of Vienna.) How many of these publications are still in any libraries or private collections as against essentially lost, that's always another matter.

Alkanator

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 24 June 2013, 23:40
E.g. The op.9 sonata in F published in 1857 is listed as being by "Jos." Rufinatscha- whether this is an alternate name for Johann Rufinatscha or a different person, I don't know. Could also be a Hofmeister typo).
This was actually discussed in an earlier thread. It was decided its probably a typo.
Quote from: Martin Eastick on Sunday 02 September 2012, 19:59
I don't know whether or not this may help, but the one work that I have in my collection by Rufinatscha IS the Sonate Op9, in the first edition published by A.O.Witzendorf. It quite clearly states on the title "Sonate fur das Pianoforte von Johann Rufinatscha Opus 9"!

eschiss1

Thanks, I'd forgotten that.
But yes, a fair amount of Rufinatscha's music was published.
As IMSLP (e.g.) has nothing by Rufinatscha, it's true, I know I'd be glad indeed if someone who had a score of a sonata or set of caprices etc. in their possession (or a library similarly) might scan in and upload to that site (or to their own likewise) at least a movement from the former or at least one of the latter (e.g.) and start a Rufinatscha category out (etc.) (Can't be less than that, by IMSLP's rules- can't be just a page, say, unless the movement is just one page- but doesn't have to be the complete work :) Anyhow.).

Alkanator

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 25 June 2013, 00:35
I know I'd be glad indeed if someone who had a score of a sonata or set of caprices etc. in their possession (or a library similarly) might scan in and upload to that site (or to their own likewise)

Perhaps the one who made that post would be so kind. (Pretty please?).