News from Acte Prealable

Started by markniew, Wednesday 05 June 2013, 20:07

Previous topic - Next topic

markniew

Acte Prealable announces a number of new recordings of the Polish music, including Dobrzyński, Żeleński, Maliszewski
http://www.acteprealable.com/coming_soon.html

Alan Howe

petershott@btinternet.com

Me too. And...argh, the poor overworked bank card....the two Dobrzynski discs. Everything I've heard by him I've found especially rewarding (for Dobrzynski agnostics try the Acte Prealable disc of his two String Quintets - gorgeous works).

Doubtless sheer prejudice on my part, but I'll give Boguslawski a miss. A whole CD worth of accordions doesn't seem too enticing.

I keep encountering the name of Maliszewski, but haven't heard any of his works. Anyone care to make me wiser?

And grateful thanks to Markniew for keeping us informed. In the UK releases of Acte Prealable discs aren't exactly proclaimed on sign billboards alongside motorways - one has to search them out.

Incidentally one slight 'mutter' about Acte Prealable. They have a steadily growing catalogue of - for me - interesting and attractive music unavailable on other labels. And although I am not suggesting one should appraise a disc by the sheer amount of music it is possible to squeeze into its 80 minutes or so, it is nonetheless a little disappointing that many Acte Prealable discs have a much shorter duration. Ungrateful person that I am, I keep thinking: wonderful disc, but there is easily space for an additional quartet or whatever.

eschiss1

Some music by Maliszewski used to be, maybe still is, available over in our downloads area, I think, including a symphony or two and a concerto.

Mark Thomas

QuoteI keep encountering the name of Maliszewski, but haven't heard any of his works. Anyone care to make me wiser?
If you go here, Peter, you'll find links to our archived downloads of music by Maliszewski, including two symphonies and a piano concerto. The two very attractive symphonies on offer there are "school of Tchaikovsky" and each is well worth a listen. I missed out on the Piano Concerto, so I'll download it myself, now!

eschiss1

Oh, there's also this performance of his half-hour 3rd string quartet over on IMSLP, courtesy of Matesic.

JimL

The piano concerto sounds a little more "modern" than the earlier symphonies...I believe it dates from 1931.

petershott@btinternet.com

Many thanks, Eric and Mark. Time for me to catch up, I think!

markniew

According to my information his pf cto op 27 dates from 1932. I thik that some year ago I uploaded also his Kuyavian Fantasy for piano and orchestra op. 25 of 1918.

Gareth Vaughan

Can't find the Kuyavian Fantasy among the downloads. Maybe I'm being stupid! Would LOVE to hear it, however.

Mark Thomas

Yes, me too please! Gareth beat me to the keypad. Markniew did upload the Festive Overture earlier this year as well.

jerfilm

And another me, too, please.....

Jerry

Gauk

There was a recent Swedish Radio broadcast of the 3rd symphony - reminds me more of Myaskovsky than Tchaikovsky, though.

markniew

Maliszewski's Fantasia have been uploaded

Mark Thomas