News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Rachmaninov's the Bells

Started by DennisS, Wednesday 07 April 2010, 13:17

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

I noticed whilst reading the thread on Holbrooke that reference was made to Rachmaninov's The Bells, both works being based on Edgar Allan Poe's The Bells. I am not familiar with Holbrooke's works (at least not yet) but I can't help not making a reference to Rachmaninov's take on the Poe. That no-one made any comment on another of my Russian favourite composers(!!!) seemed a little surprising. Rachmaninov is certainly not "unsung" but I wonder how well known the Bells is? That said, I can't imagine that the piece is NOT well known. I for one simply love the work, virtually a choral symphony! I love Russian music and I love the sound of bells incorporated into classical music! No, ... I am not Russian (!), bearing in mind that Russians are almost fanatical about the use of bells, in all their different guises, in their music. Rachmaninov's work, in 4 movements, is very skillfully constructed. The opening movement depicts silver sleighbells and is a joyous piece of music for tenor and orchestra. Mellow wedding bells toll in the second movement (soprano, chorus and orchestra) and the third movement portrays alarm bells. The finale is very impressive and portrays funeral bells - very solemn but very, very impressive and ultimately very moving (baritone and orchestra). Whenever I am in the mood to listen to a choral work (symphony), the Rachmaninov is one of the works I choose. Marvelous music!
Cheers
Dennis

Amphissa

Dennis, I have long admired Rachmaninoff's The Bells. It was his favorite of his symphonies. The premier of the piece was originally intended for London, but was delayed by the war. When it finally made its debut there, it was with an English libretto and re-written 3rd movement, which he was pressured into. So, as a result, there are two performing versions of the score. The original, in Russian, has the more intense, frightening choral movement.

I've often wondered about the relative dearth of recordings of the piece, although the number has increased in the past decade. I can understand why it does not get played in concert very often, because the forces required are considerable, and it ends in quiet tranquility rather than the great climax that audiences seem to love. Still, it has been played a the Proms a couple of times. It is rarely performed in the U.S. despite the popularity of the composer.

I've managed to track down all the recordings of this work that I've identified. If I had to pick a favorite audio recording, I think I'd go with Kondrashin's, even though the CD audio is not up to current standards. But I also enjoy very much the DVD with Bychkov leading the WDR SO Koln.

Pengelli

Quite! Mention this one and you'll get blank looks from even the most ardent of Rachmaninov lovers! It will be fascinating to be able to compare the two works one of these days,as we almost certainly will,eventually! Incidentally,I do think Poe was at his best when he wrote poetry. (Charles Tournemire's 3rd symphony also uses the inspiration of Russian Bells in a most interesting way).

chill319

Although infinitely more mature, The Bells always struck me as the apotheosis of what Rachmaninoff had to say in the vein of his most popular work, the Prelude, op. 3/2. The opening of the "breakthrough" second concerto is similar. If anybody agrees, then why has The Bells remained so unsung?