Of all the unrecorded music in all the world...

Started by Martin Anderson, Saturday 10 April 2010, 11:24

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

Yes, I strongly agree that the BBC recording of Brian's 'The Tigers' should have been released, but it is apparently mired in contractual issues. When, in the 1990s, the 'BBC Radio Classics' label (in association with Carlton) began to make available such off-air treasures as Boughton's 2nd and 3rd Symphonies conducted Downes and Bliss' ballet 'The Lady of Shalott' conducted by the composer, I really hoped that this would be the dawning of a new age when previously 'locked' recordings would see commercial release. It clearly can be done - witness Albany's discs of Bantock's choral symphonies 'Atalanta in Calydon' and 'Vanity of Vanities' and George Lloyd's opera 'Iernin'. Also Ethel Smyth's 'The Wreckers' issued by Conifer in 1994 based largely on the BBC Prom performance from that year. What earthly use are similar BBC recordings (often unique modern performances of esoteric or obscure repertoire) to anybody, especially the performers involved, if nobody can access them easily, let alone purchase copies of them.

An interesting analogy is Warner Brothers' recently-launched 'Archive' service which allows the controlled release of obscure film material from their vaults (including silent features from the 1920s - another passion of mine). These are not 'pressed' DVDs, but burned and therefore much cheaper to produce, allowing for the vagaries of a relatively 'niche' market. By all accounts, this has been a tremendous success for Warners. Now if the BBC could open it's audio-vaults in similar fashion I would be one of their most loyal customers!

petershott@btinternet.com

I thoroughly agree, Albion. But the keeping of valuable stuff in the vaults is a practice not unique to the BBC. For example, way back in 2002 English National Opera commenced, with some fanfare, a series of ENO recordings. I let out a whoop of delight. Alas, the project never got further than the first release - of Turnage's 'The Silver Tassie'. I can't believe that ENO don't make recordings of their productions, especially those commissioned by them. It could only benefit the composers and musicians involved, and the musical community as well, if these works were permanently accessible. I think it a scandal that - doubtless for legal reasons - they remain locked away in the vaults.

But you're perfectly right: the BBC is the main culprit. (A much better game than Martin's 'What would you like to see recorded?' would be: 'If you could raid the vaults of the BBC which recording would you grab?') Doubtless we shall be castigated by lawyers for failing to understand some formidable legal point, but my dismay and irritation won't reduce because of that. And doubtless we shall Alan breathing down our necks for wandering right off the thread! But the point is made.

Peter

Pengelli

It certainly makes you feel like doing a 'smash and grab',or maybe a more sophisticated operation,along the lines of 'Rififi',or 'The Italian Job'! Keeping such treasures locked away from the public,(and 'The Tigers' is just one of many),seems like a major crime in itself,to the likes of music lovers like me. Also,the BBC,unlike Sky or ITV,is by it's very nature  and funding,supposed to be accountable to the British people,and they should be working out ways of allowing people access such archives,not keeping them under lock and key.

Pengelli

Sorry about the typing again,the 'coughing' doesn't help! Maybe the Warner Brothers initiative is a solution,but  I think that there are allot of people who aren't  'Brianite's',who would really enjoy discovering a work like 'The Tigers',and a commercially produced cd set could do allot to spread the word about a work as colourful,tuneful,inventive and fun as that opera undoubtedly is.

chill319

An excellent suggestion, Albion. It really comes down in the short term to a handful of specific individuals at the majors who could provide well structured business models to their VPs. Hopefully, in the medium term Marshall McLuhan's "medium is the message" will translate into "internet = new business model" -- and NOT just via murky MP3s.

JimL

eschiss1

Erm, are we talking about Marshall McLuhan? Surname spelled slightly differently.
Eric straying offtopic, sorry

JimL

chill319

McLuhan it is. Thanks for catching that. Spelling corrected.

Revilod

Most of Saint-Saens' operas are unrecorded. "Henri VIII" is a wonderfully inspired work yet is hardly known. The others must be worth investigating. Also his oratorio "La Terre Promise".

albion

Yes, I've got a very enjoyable DVD of 'Henry VIII' (Kultur D4015) and would love to hear or see more Saint-Saens. Likewise, Massenet's lesser-known operas haven't really been given much exposure since the heyday of Bonynge and Sutherland!

TerraEpon

Quote from: Revilod on Thursday 15 April 2010, 17:12
Most of Saint-Saens' operas are unrecorded. "Henri VIII" is a wonderfully inspired work yet is hardly known. The others must be worth investigating. Also his oratorio "La Terre Promise".

There's an OOP Henry VIII from the 80s, I think.
Still, I'd love to hear it, as well as Le Timbre d'Argent, Etuenne Marcel, Proserpine, Ascanio, Phryne, Fredegonde, Les Barbares, L'Ancetre, and Dejanire.

Even more so, though, is the incidental music.

Speaking of which, Khachaturian has a lot of unrecorded incidental music -- even the popular Masquerade has never been recorded beyond the suite, but I'd especially love to hear his take on Macbeth (BOTH of them!). Not to mention his film music.
And of course, easily on my top 5 list relating to this thread, the complete original version of Gayaneh (not to mention its original original form, Happiness).

Actually, incidental music in general seems to be under represented outside from the three or so usual suspects...even Mendelssohn's others are rarely recorded.

John H White

I'd go for all the unrecorded symphonies of Franz Lachner, particularly Nos 2 & 6, the latter of which was reckoned by Schumann to be twice as good as No 5. Apart from these I'd like to hear the 3 surviving piano concertos of Cypriani Potter and the 6th piano concerto of his pupil, William Sterndale Bennett,which has been withheld from performance for completely non musical reasons by the present owner of the manuscript score.

Jonathan

Hi again all,
I should also have said all of the unrecorded piano music by Alkan.  There is quite a lot which has never been recorded and (IMHO) deserves to be!  ;D