Book - Child Composers & Their Works - Barry Cooper

Started by Marcus, Wednesday 07 April 2010, 13:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus

I am currently reading a book by Barry Cooper : Child Composers & Their Works.
The book is a historical survey of child composers before 1900, and a list of their works. He takes to task most past  music critics of children's music , as derivative, uninspired, unworthy of consideration, and presents an argument as to why this was wrong. Most of those children who  went on to become composers of note, either destroyed, modified or re-wrote these works, and/or, refused to acknowledge them, some from fear of ridicule or association with mediocrity. (the result of savage criticism). Mr Cooper is of the opinion that these works are a valid picture of the composers early development, and few of us will disagree with that.
The youngest composer, for whom he has evidence is Frederick Ousley (1825-89), who wrote piano pieces in November 1828 at the age of 3years & 98 days.They were published at various times in the 19th century.
Mozart was probably the most precocious  of child composers, but most of the well known composers have lists of "juvenalia', some of which would be interesting to hear, but some would only interest musicologists.
But this is an interesting book for anyone interested in the musical life of a composers early development.
Mr Cooper is probably well known to most for his completion of the 1st movement of Beethoven's Symphony no10 in E flat . Available on Carlton Classics #3036900042 (includes a talk by MrCooper), & Chandos Chan 6501)
Marcus

petershott@btinternet.com

I appreciate, Marcus, your initiative in drawing attention to this book together with an indication of its scope and contents. It escaped my attention when published last summer. Barry Cooper, of course, has published some splendid writings on Beethoven - in fact some of the most thoughtful and judicious accounts of the life and works that I've encountered. So this new book is added to the pile of 'must read'.

On a more general note I welcome friends on the forum drawing attention to the written word. We often move straight from celebration of an unsung composer to the question of whether there are recordings available of their work. Quite right too. But then it is incredibly useful to receive notification of relevant literature that might easily remain unread unless people drew attention to its existence. So many thanks for the mention of the Cooper book.

Peter