News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Jakob van Domselaer

Started by thalbergmad, Wednesday 16 June 2010, 22:23

Previous topic - Next topic

thalbergmad

A while back, one of my Dutch internet buddies proposed the above was possibly the greatest of Dutch "Unsungs". As he is prone to "moderism", i did not take too much notice, but curiosity got the better of me and I purchased the two piano concertos and after a couple of listening sessions I am beginning to wonder if he was correct.

This is some of the most individual music I have heard for yonks and the man seems to have a foot in at last two centuries.

I would be interested if anyone else has heard any of Domselaer's music.

For what it is worth, it bears my stamp of approval and I am at my happiest with the romatics.

Thal

Peter1953

I have the double CD with Symphony 1 (1921, in fact his only symphony) on the first disc and both PCs (1 from 1924 and 2 from 1926) on the other disc. Kees Wieringa plays the piano and has written very interesting booklet notes.
But what about the piano concertos by Van Domselaer? Both are certainly rather individual, mainly tonal, having some beautiful, lyrical moments, but also strange outbursts of the orchestra, which I don't like.  I think his 1st is more approachable than his 2nd.
I've tried to understand the Symphony, but after repeated listening I've given up.
Jakob van Domselaer (1890-1960, a man who lived rather isolated, but he was a good friend of the famous Dutch painter Mondriaan) hasn't composed much. Most of his works are written for the piano, including Suites (1930-58) and 39 Piano Sonatas (1924-35). Some of his piano music is released on CD (Do Records label).
Today Jakob van Domselaer is completely forgotten.

thalbergmad

Thanks Peter, I was beginning to feel on my own with this one.

Thal

Pengelli

I was feeling quite sorry for you. I had the same problem with the composer Stanley Bate,although I posted my observations in the wrong part of the forum,so at least I got some replies!!! I had never heard of Domselaer,but the Wikipedia entry sounds quite interesting. I suppose his type of music just doesn't really fit in here. I shall now go and look up Neo-plasticism,since according to Wiki,Domselaer was the first composer to apply it's principles to music. Furthermore,'his austere.mathematically based music', (I am quoting Wikipedia,of course),represents an important but as yet unaknowledged precedent to minimalism. If this is true,and Wikipedia can be famously dodgy,he is certainly of interest. Being an artist myself,I am of course familiar with Mondrian,but I wouldn't call myself an expert. I prefer illustrative art myself,generally,although being an open minded person,I like all sorts of things. It all depends!

Pengelli

And now,I've looked it up! And,I didn't even know Mondrian invented Neo-plasticism. To quote myself, now,'I wouldn't call myself an expert'!! I have seen his paintings though,honest!!!  Okay,back to illustrative painting.........

Pengelli

Just tried using a Mondrian as my desktop!

Pengelli

Who would have thought Neo-plasicism made such a great desktop?

Pengelli

P-l-a-s-t-i-c-i-s-m. Neo-plasticism aside,this keyboard could do with a clean.

thalbergmad

I was initially put off by the Wiki description, but the PC 1 is really rather romantic.

Thal