Romantic Piano Concerto Vol. 62 - Gounod!

Started by FBerwald, Sunday 14 July 2013, 12:18

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

Hyperion has announced Vol. 62 of it's Romantic Piano Concerto series. - Charles Gounod

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 

Alan Howe

Yes, lovely jubbly!

In the UK it's a November release. Time to ask Great Aunt Flo to put it on her Xmas present list for you...

eschiss1

I remember that conversation, was wondering what label these works would be released on if recorded, and this seems an excellent choice to me :D

BFerrell

Where did you find that information? I cannot find it on their website.

eschiss1

(At a guess, from the pedal-pianist - hrm. I used to be on his mailing-list I think or something, though it seems not anymore, or maybe I misremember wholly. :) Though I think he also has a website. Need to check...)

FBerwald

Quote from: Tapiola on Sunday 14 July 2013, 14:23
Where did you find that information? I cannot find it on their website.

Search for all releases of "2013" in the Hyperion website.  :D

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

No need to pass the sugar for this one, methinks.

TerraEpon

We talked about this before didn't we? The pedal piano concerto is actually recorded on that, yes?

Certainly a very nice disk of unknown music from a known-for-a-few-things composer.

LateRomantic75

Whilst I share others' excitement for this release, it seems to me that Hyperion has been steering more towards early- and mid-romantic repertoire in their latest installments in the series. I love late-romantic PCs, so I have been slightly disappointed with this recent trend. In no respect do I want Hyperion to focus exclusively on late-romantic repertoire; I would just like to see more of a balance between early-/mid-romantic and late-romantic repertoire. Whatever the case, I'm sure Hyperion has some treasures down the road for us in this invaluable series!

Alan Howe

Doesn't bother me at all. And I imagine it's a question of matching soloists to possible repertoire rather than balancing composition periods.

Gareth Vaughan

I feel sure there will be plenty of goodies in 2014. Meanwhile, the Gounod will surely be a delicious confection.

eschiss1

The Gounod suite concertante was published in 1888- not sure when it was composed. When does "late Romantic" start?  I assume that was prompted by this thread, after all...

LateRomantic75

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 14 July 2013, 22:33
The Gounod suite concertante was published in 1888- not sure when it was composed. When does "late Romantic" start?  I assume that was prompted by this thread, after all...

Well, the "late-romantic" period doesn't start after a specific year; it just has more to do with a given composer's style. Gounod died in the same year as Tchaikovsky and 10 years after Wagner, but I would consider his style "mid-romantic", whereas I would consider Wagner's and Tchaikovsky's styles to be "late-romantic", if that makes any sense.

eschiss1

I'd agree it doesn't start with a certain year, but would disagree that it has to do with a certain _composer's_ style, as these things vary from work to work and even within works... some of these works, with this soloist (from his website, I think, not sure, or radio recordings?) (possibly a different conductor and orchestra) can be heard on YouTube, I think, so you don't have to wait until the Hyperion recording is released to decide whether you personally think these works are mid- or late-Romantic. I forget at that whether I've heard them, and will do so myself... :)