Dutch Courage Needed

Started by mikehopf, Saturday 31 August 2013, 02:32

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehopf

Could any of our Dutch speaking members help me out here?

I recorded the following broadcast last week - it is still available to listen - from Concertzender:

11:00 - 12:00 Koninkrijk der Nederlanden 200 jaar! 

Deel 5: Romantiek NL. Liederen en kamermuziek van Johannes Verhulst, Johannes Bernardus van Bree, Ludwig Felix Brandts Buys, Julius Röntgen, Dirk Schäfer en Nicolaas Arie Bouwman.

Uitvoerenden:
Annegeer Stumpius, sopraan. Nico van der Meel, tenor. Leo van Doeselaar, fortepiano.
Viotta Ensemble olv. Viktor Libermann.
Hein Meens, tenor. Marien van Nieukerken, piano.
Godfried Hoogeveen, cello. Edith Grosz, piano.
Orpheus Strijkkwartet en pianist Jacob Bogaart.
Het Nederlands Kamerkoor olv. Uwe Gronostay.
Nationaal Jeugd Harmonie Orkest olv. Jan Cober.

It contained some lovely pieces but , with few exceptions, I don't know what they are as my comprehension of the Dutch language is only equalled by my knowledge of Polish spelling.

eschiss1

Viotta Ensemble? I'm guessing, just guessing, they played the Röntgen- did one of them sound like Röntgen's serenade Op.14? (Sound samples of that piece should be available at allmusic.com and other places to compare with what you heard. It's a wind chamber piece, and they've recorded it commercially-

you might even, with that piece, be comparing same to same (a recording to itself), as opposed to, I mean, like to like (a recording of a piece by the same ensemble broadcasting it live, for example).)

JeremyMHolmes

With pleasure Mike:
1. Johannes Verhulst (1819 - 1876): 2 songs from Op 26 and one from Op 27 (up to about 10 minutes in)
2. van Bree: Allegro for 4 string quartets (1845) (up to about 22 minutes in)
3. Buys (pronounced 'bowce') Song from Knaben Wunderhorn from 1877 (Sag Ich liess sie grussen), followed by two songs from his song cycle Op 21 (up to about 28 minutes in)
4. Schafer: Adagio pathetico from the piano quintet Op 5 (this was actually wrongly announced by the presenter as the Rontgen Cello Sonata!)(up to about 38 minutes)
5. Rontgen: Cello sonata (wrongly announced as the Schafer piece above!) (up to about 47 minutes)(this may be the whole piece or just a movement, it wasn't clear from the announcement)
6. Verhulst: work for unaccompanied choir  Het Nevel Dekt Ons (up to 50 minutes)
7. Bouwman: a work for wind band (some kind of suite like the Holst suites?) Frustratingly, this wasn't announced either at the beginning or end of the piece, and it then segued at 59 minutes straight into another song for tenor and fortepiano which I suspect was by Verhulst (and may even have been one of the ones played earlier).

The performers are in the order in the list you have copied and pasted in your original post.

I am sure I have seen the van Bree on a CD somewhere in my collection (an old Eloquence one??).

I hope this helps - it was a lovely hour's listening, and I'm grateful to you for steering me in its direction! I particularly enjoyed the Rontgen Cello sonata, and the short movement for piano quintet by Schafer.

Jeremy

JeremyMHolmes

PS I should add that the announcer frustratingly didn't say which one of the many (13?) Cello Sonatas by Rontgen was played.

mikehopf

Thank you so much, Jeremy!

What a wonderful series this is turning out to be.

I may well be calling on your services again particularly in view of the frequent announcer stuff-ups!

JeremyMHolmes

You're welcome Mike. Feel free to PM me if there are other things you need deciphering!