For any M. Weinberg fans in this forum

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 15 April 2010, 02:26

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I notice that Chandos is releasing a recording of second releases of his symphonies- the first symphony (just beat out the gate by Northern Flowers a few months ago, otherwise it would be a premiere recording), and the seventh symphony (C major op.81 for strings and harpsichord, recorded awhile back in Soviet days; and, also, performed though not recorded, in Canada just a few years ago conducted by Gabriel Chmura.) This new  recording of 1&7 though is conducted by Thord Svedlund, who conducted Chandos' last Weinberg recording (of concertos). (Which leads to a conjecture about Chmura and Chandos, but who knows.)

Eric

petershott@btinternet.com

I'm looking forward to this new Chandos disc, having collected them all plus the CPO recordings of the quartets. There's also a forthcoming Naxos disc of Allison Brewster Franzetti performing some of the sonatas which promises to be good. Weinberg is very much on the roll. And justifiably so in my view: he was a superbly inventive composer and the music is wonderfully energetic.

Thord Svedlund is, of course, no stranger to Weinberg. Quite a few years ago he recorded the 4 Chamber Symphonies (and Symphony 2) on Olympia. I've long treasured those performances, and in recent years I believe they have re-appeared on the budget label Alto. Thus no excuse for failing to add them to the collection!

Peter

Delicious Manager

I first encountered Weinberg (or Moisei Vainberg as he was then known - but that's another story) when I was a lad in the 1970s. HMV/Melodiya released the excellent coupling of the 4th Symphony and Violin Concerto (early 1960s recordings of the Moscow Phil under the great Kirill Kondrashin with Leonid Kogan in the Concerto). For many years it was Weinberg's only representation in 'western' catalogues. I managed to procure Melodiya LPs of the 6th Symphony (also Kondrashin) and his Cello and Solo Viola Sonatas. Then Olympia came along and started to redress the balance. It now looks like that, between Chandos and cpo, we are to get a full representation of the symphonies and string quartets.

One has to cherry-pick with Weinberg - he was not the most consistent of composers. I have the new CD of the 1st and 7th Symphonies and I have to say that the 7th is a strong work. Perhaps Weinberg's best symphony, however, is No 5 (available again under Kondrashin if you can seek-out one of the various pressings of it) - a taught, dramatic work from 1959. At its worst, however, Weinberg's music can outstay its welcome quite quickly (as with some of the late symphonies).

So, yes, I'm a fan - but a selective one.

eschiss1

I was surprised to see the Chandos recording of the 7th described as a CD premiere in Records International though (http://www.recordsinternational.com/cd.php?cd=06L004) - I'm pretty sure the Barshai recording was reissued by Olympia (perhaps to be reissued by Alto or Northern Flowers sometime, or by Melodiya.) I have that recording, but neither recording of the 1st symphony, so far. Looking forward to hearing the Chandos release.
Eric

Hovite

Quote from: Delicious Manager on Tuesday 29 June 2010, 12:48
I first encountered Weinberg (or Moisei Vainberg as he was then known - but that's another story) when I was a lad in the 1970s. HMV/Melodiya released the excellent coupling of the 4th Symphony and Violin Concerto

The Violin Concerto is also on Naxos 8.557194.

Delicious Manager

Hi, Hovite (are you from Hove, UK by any chance?). I also have the Naxos recording, but it's not a patch on the Kogan. I feel the reviews for that performance were a little too 'kind' (perhaps lack of familiarity?).