Eduard Künneke (1885 - 1953) and his Piano Concerto

Started by Praetoria, Thursday 22 May 2014, 14:44

Previous topic - Next topic

james kernow

I will travelling up from Cornwall to give the Künneke talk in York (Dower House, William Plows Avenue, Heslington Road, York YO10 5AD) on 14 November which begins at 14.00.  I've been a fan of his music for a long time and am trying my best to promote his music in the UK and gave a similar talk in Leicester earlier this year.  Hopefully more will follow!  I was responsible for the Magdalen CD mentioned above (although I no longer work for the label).  It would be great to see other Künneke fans and experts at the talk in York; there will probably be a small charge for non York RMS members.   Hope to see you there....

konstantin1991

I like the concerto by Künneke very much, too. Especially the slow movement left a deep impression on me. But i'm not satisfied with the Wirtz recording. IMO Wirtz does not live up with the concerto and lacks clearity in her playing. However I'm happy that there IS a recording! I have a two-piano reduction of the concerto from 1935. It was published by Verlag Richard Birnbach, Berlin. But I don't know were to find the orchestral score.
Hopefully this great concerto will be included in the Hyperion series sometime... 

eschiss1

Birnbach also published a number of works by Felix Weingartner.  According to a recent republication of Weingartner's 6th symphony, Birnbach can be reached at

www.birnbach-musikverlag.de.

Worth a go.