Rubinstein Symphony No. 5 reissue

Started by sdtom, Wednesday 24 July 2013, 19:36

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

Originally released on Marco Polo #8.223320 in 1988 Naxos has reissued this recording on there regular series of recordings #8.557005.

I think the refreshing thing that I liked about the 5th was the Russian influence that it has to offer, at least the first two  movements for certain. I certainly wasn't bored by it at all as some of the previous comments from 3 years ago.
Tom

sdtom

Last night I listened to Tchaikovsky's 'Winter Dreams' as some said it compared with Rubinstein's 5th
but I couldn't here much at all in the way of similarities. I think that both works have had their share of negativity.
Tom

eschiss1

... I thought it was usually compared with Volkmann's 1st, or somesuch- not Rubinstein's 5th. New to me, that.

Alan Howe

Compare the respective openings of Borodin 2 and Volkmann 1 - now that is interesting.

Anyway, back To Rubinstein 5...

sdtom

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 28 July 2013, 01:24
... I thought it was usually compared with Volkmann's 1st, or somesuch- not Rubinstein's 5th. New to me, that.

I was quoting Keith Anderson from Naxos. Is the Volkmann symphony worth having in the collection?
Tom

Alan Howe

Quote from: sdtom on Sunday 28 July 2013, 18:23
Is the Volkmann symphony worth having in the collection?

Emphatically, YES!! Here are some audio excerpts (Symphony No.1 = tracks 2 to 5):
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/Robert-Volkmann-1815-1883-S%E4mtliche-Orchesterwerke/hnum/6019596

petershott@btinternet.com

Without hesitation I heartily endorse Alan's "Emphatically, YES!!" (I think that means, Tom, that he rather admires Volkmann!)

But Alan has been a little 'economical' in offering his advice. For next to nothing you can easily acquire the 2CD CPO set of the two symphonies, plus the Cello Concerto (short but a veritable marvel) and a couple of Concert Overtures.

And if you become hooked then there are String Quartets 1 & 4, 2 & 5, and 3 & 6 available again on CPO - plenty of S/H bargains to be had. Oooh, and the two Piano Trios Op. 3 and 5.

Grab and enjoy!

Mark Thomas

Yes, Volkmann is indeed a very rewarding composer. Dare I say, in this thread, more consisently so than is Rubinstein?

sdtom

I went ahead and ordered the two CD set from CPO which includes both symphonies. I'm looking forward to hearing it and seeing how it compares to Rubinstein.
Tom

Alan Howe

Volkmann, of course, is in the Schumann tradition, with pointers to, say, Brahms. In that respect a comparable composer would be Albert Dietrich rather than more discursive (and less satisfactory) Rubinstein.

eschiss1

Volkmann? In some ways quite possibly. More forward-looking (but then, Brahms was no hidebound conservative either). Consider his chamber music (not just a one-movement piano trio, but the - not unique (think of Hirschbach as another counterexample) but rare- example for his time of a rather unusually structured string quartet (the 5th in F minor (pub.1859), iirc) (not an insight original to me.))

Peter1953

I thought the discussion was about the reissue of Rubinstein's Fifth. Not that he is as a composer less than others. Well, my contribution is that I don't understand why Naxos re-released this old recording.
I could be one of the few who really like to see a completely new performance of this very fine symphony. Actually of all his symphonies. Another first class orchestra, an inspired conductor who understands Rubinstein, a state-of-the-art recording. I suppose Naxos is not interested because of the MP series, but Chandos might. After all, we are talking about one of the greatest Russian composers ever. IMHO of course.

Alan Howe

Quote from: Peter1953 on Monday 29 July 2013, 18:26
After all, we are talking about one of the greatest Russian composers ever. IMHO of course.

He isn't - IMHO of course. Important? Yes. Influential? Yes. Great? No - he's far too flawed a composer to be that.

Alan Howe

What do friends think of Faust, Op.68 on this CD?

sdtom

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 29 July 2013, 21:27
Quote from: Peter1953 on Monday 29 July 2013, 18:26
After all, we are talking about one of the greatest Russian composers ever. IMHO of course.

He isn't - IMHO of course. Important? Yes. Influential? Yes. Great? No - he's far too flawed a composer to be that.

I put him in the average range. His contemporaries far exceeded him. I agree with Alan that he did make an impact especially with the starting of the St. Petersburg Conservatory, teaching (Tchaikovsky for one), and as a classical pianist.
Tom