News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

AK Coburg recordings

Started by petershott@btinternet.com, Tuesday 30 July 2013, 20:05

Previous topic - Next topic

petershott@btinternet.com

Friends on the UC Forum might like to take advantage of some of the least expensive prices I've seen on Draeseke recordings offered by both Amazon UK and Amazon sellers.

The two CDs of the String Quartets are at prices considerably less than I paid for mine a couple of years ago.

I've also just ordered the disc of the Viola Sonatas which I've wanted for some time. The summer seems the time for grabbing bargains.

Alan Howe

Unfortunately the CD of the viola sonatas is by far the least successful AKC Draeseke release, principally on account of the seriously unattractive timbre of the viola soloist. We badly need a new recording.

petershott@btinternet.com

Point taken.....but then I could hardly not purchase it, could I?

Alan Howe

The CD will at least demonstrate the music, but it's not a great recording. The viola can be played (and sound) much better...

britishcomposer

I have a recording of the Viola Sonata in F WoO23 with Jürgen Kussmaul and Werner Genuit. I suppose you know it, Alan? According to this source the "performance is seriously flawed":
http://www.draeseke.org/essays/AMSprogram2003.htm
Anyway, I like the piece. Usually I don't appreciate the viola in romantic music but Draeseke is quite successful I think.