News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Pianist Josef Lhevinne

Started by jerfilm, Thursday 01 August 2013, 00:31

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

Not sure if this is appropriate here or not.  Well, fools jump in.   We have a famous music camp here in Colorado called Rocky Ridge Music Center (www.rockyridge.org.)  Pianist Josef Lhevinne played a role in the early days of the camp.  Since I have some of the early MIDI files of scanned reproducing piano rolls played by Lhevinne, I offered to make them a CD of some of these performances.  However, Windows Midi Mapper  is unbelievably bad so I tried sampling them with VirtualMIDISynth and a grand piano soundfont.   The results were noticeably improved but still left me cold. 

I happened to be corresponding with our sampling guru and forum friend, Steffen Fahl and he generously offered to resample them for me using a Steinway grand piano sound sample.  As one would expect, they turned out beautifully.  Truly amazing.

The point of all of this is this:  If there is some interest in these performances, I will zip them up and send them off to Mediafire.   I did some previous ones of Ignaz Friedheim who also composed some of the pieces.  The sound was not nearly as good but I'm not sure anyone downloaded them.

So let me know if you have an interest.   We're also collaborating on about 50 additional rolls, each by a different composer/pianist playing their owns works.  The list includes Saint-Saens, Debussy, Mahler, Richard Strauss, Ravel, von Sauer, Grieg, Terresa Correno, Grofe, Gershwin, Jelly Roll Morton, Scott Joplin, Zez Confrey and the list goes on and on.

Jerry

thalbergmad

What a splendid idea. Piano rolls can be very revealing, so it is excellent they are being digitalised.

I am most certainly interested.

Thal

Jonathan

thalbergmad

No doubt a rather lot of work has gone into the download I have just seen.

Top marks chaps.

Thal