News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Zandonai works

Started by eschiss1, Friday 02 August 2013, 04:26

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Not new, so maybe doesn't belong here, but 3 CDs of works by Zandonai that probably count among unsung (and probably? Romantic) that MDT lists as being issued in September 2013, though a Worldcat search reveals that most or all of this set existed previously on the same label (with very little distribution, I think) back in 2004...

orchestral and chamber works by Riccardo Zandonai.

Could be interesting...
Includes a string quartet by him I wasn't aware of, for instance.

matesic

According to your link "Riccardo Zandonai was a well-known musical figure in Italy in the mid-eighteenth century". Buyers of this set may be in for a shock!

Santo Neuenwelt

Riccardo Zandonai (1883-1944) His String Quartet in G was recorded by the Quartetto di Archi di Venezia on Dynamic CD CDS 461

eschiss1

Mid-18th century? ... er... no. (When I wrote "Romantic?" it was because I knew he lived too late and was known best for Francesca da Rimini - not out of any misapprehension that he was a Baroque or Classical composer. I didn't even read that carefully. But I should have been clearer. I did have him briefly confused with Amilcare Zanella when I saw that mention of the string quartet though and thought "is this Zanella's other string quartet (did he write another string quartet*)? I know the published one is in A major" until I had a closer look... anyway, works by Zanella wouldn't have a "RZ" prefix (for Riccardo Zandonai), I suppose...)

* ... I know he wrote two piano trios, one unpublished, so... who knows...

Re the other recording of Zandonai's string quartet: thank you. Hoping to hear that.

savvy

I already have them, and since two years!!  :) Anyway, more should come soon!

alberto

The Dynamic recording of Zandonai Quartet has now been re-released in a ten Cds cheap box of Italian string quartets . Not only romantic music...but there are three records of Antonio Bazzini.