News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Henrique Oswald 1852-1931

Started by giles.enders, Monday 05 August 2013, 11:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Santo Neuenwelt

I realize this thread has been dead for five years, but I did not know if it was worthwhile starting a new one. We are just in the process of publishing the parts to Oswald's Piano Quintet in C Major which can be heard on Youtube. In writing the cover notes, I discovered on Wikipedia that he had composed four string quartets. Unfortunately, we do not have the parts and have not been able to find them so far. However, it turns out, in our library we have an LP recording of his String Quartet No.3 in E flat Major, Op.39 which was composed in 1908 while  he was living in Florence. It is on CBS 160174. We used to have a computer hooked up to an LP player with software which allowed us to copy it onto a hard drive and then make CDs. Unfortunately, that computer has died and the software only worked on Windows 2000 professional. A pity because we would have uploaded it here.

eschiss1

Scores and parts of his quartets and other chamber works seem to be downloadable right here. Oswald.art.br. I haven't tried to download them, so I don't know if there's a fee. I hope that helps some, though... Other parts of the site have other works of his and other information. Seems to be by way of an official Henrique Oswald site, maybe.

(I found a link to it from the name-authorities page of the Brazilian National Library website. Sort of like VIAF...)

Santo Neuenwelt

Thanks Eric. We will have a look.

Alan Howe

Oswald's Symphony is downloadable here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sinfonia-op-43-Henrique-Symphony/dp/B0039VTALW/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Sinfonia+op.+43+-+Henrique+Oswald&qid=1566057502&s=gateway&sr=8-1

It can also be heard on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysR6VPMG55w

Mike Herman gives these details of the recording over at MusicWeb:

Symphony, Op. 43 (1910)
Edoardo de Guarnieri/Orquestra SinfĂ´nica Brasileira
FESTA LDR 5.016 (LP) (1960's)

Santo Neuenwelt

I was able to determine that in 2010 a three CD set of Oswald's chamber music was issued on the Ariah Cultural label. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be available anywhere.

Alan Howe

Santo Neuenwelt

Thanks Alan. We already checked there. They do not have it.

Alan Howe

Quite. I was just posting further details of the set.

Martin Eastick

I spent ages trying to obtain this 3CD set and in the end I e-mailed Artur Huf, the violinist who set up the ArsBrasil group in 2010 which recorded the anthology. He very kindly sent me a copy. I did find, however, that two of the discs were very temperamental and in the end decided to re-record them onto blank CD's which solved the problem! I am very surprised, though, that these invaluable recordings haven't had some form of proper distribution or at least some attempt made to make them more easily obtainable on-line.