Kaminski chamber works

Started by petershott@btinternet.com, Wednesday 21 August 2013, 13:45

Previous topic - Next topic

petershott@btinternet.com

Another little bundle of riches in the post this morning. First into the CD player is the new Sterling disc (CDA1681-2) of Kaminski's early Quartet for Clarinet, Viola, Cello & Piano (1912), and the perhaps better known Quintet for Clarinet, Horn, Violin, Viola & Cello of 1924. To fill up the disc we also have the Drei geistliche Lieder (texts in German supplied) for Soprano, Clarinet and Violin.

Stephan Siegenthaler and Kolja Lessing (plus colleagues) are the principal performers in the Quartet and Quintet, and Siegenthaler has already given us earlier CDs on Sterling including quintets by Fuchs and Thieriot (a stunner of a disc).

Thus far I've only listened to the Quartet, and am still gathering impressions. But it seems a gorgeous work, and I'm now in a quandary: shall I try it again after a break doing something else, or move on to the Quintet? (Just as well Hamlet didn't possess a CD player). Apologies: the question is of no interest to anyone else.

A robust thumbs up to Sterling for the disc. Incidentally, it has been difficult (at least in the UK) to lay hands on Sterling discs for the last couple of months. But fortunately things seem to be on the roll again. I wonder when the delayed end of the world (so to speak) will be upon us? I'm sure Mark will leap in and answer that question - I've been much looking forward to that unknown Raff work for several months.

Mark Thomas

I can only leap in, Peter, to say that I don't yet have a definitive release date for the Raff orchestral twofer, I'm afraid. As soon as I have one, I'll post it at UC. In common with many smaller labels, Sterling are in the midst of major changes to their distribution network, following both their European and their US distributors (Codaex and Qualition respectively) ceasing to trade. This may account for the difficulty in obtaining their CDs. New arrangements are pretty much in place, and so the flow should resume.

petershott@btinternet.com

Thanks Mark. The information about distributors explains the difficulties I've experienced recently in obtaining Sterling discs. Hopefully the new arrangements will enable ready access to these valuable discs - it would be a near catastrophe if they became inaccessible.

By jinks - I didn't realise the forthcoming Raff release will be a twofer. What a thing to look forward to! If the world's end is heralded by a Raff twofer then I cheerfully embrace it!