News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Jouke Douwenga

Started by Sibeliusfan, Thursday 23 October 2014, 18:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibeliusfan

The Dutch composer Jouke Douwenga (1890-1980) wrote in a romantic style. He composed two piano concertos and many songs, some on Frisian texts. Long ago the concertos were broadcasted and performers were (then) wellknown Dutch pianists like Pierre Palla and Cor de Groot and conductor Willem van Otterloo. Eager to know if there is something preserved.

poem_of_ecstasy

Here are two scores, a March and 2 pieces for string orchestra: http://www.muziekschatten.nl/action/search?text=Douwenga%2C+Jouke&orderBy=alphabet&searchIn=composer&page=1

I too am curious if there are any (surviving) records!

Aramiarz

I never listened about this composer. Have You recordings? Have You more info about Douwenga ?

Sibeliusfan

Once I had a recording of his second piano concerto, taped from a radioprogramme. However, the tape got lost. But I hope there a member of this forum, taped the same performance...

Ilja

As a fellow Frisian, I'd love to hear one of these if they're available.

There's some information about Douwenga to be found at the Frisian Music Archives (http://www.fryskmuzykargyf.nl/jouke-douwenga.ashx). I'll briefly translate the biography:

Quote"Jouke Douwenga was born in Fochteloo in 1890, and died in Doorn in 1980.

Training:
He received his first lessons from his father, a schoolteacher and organ player in Fochteloo. Later, while working as a trade represenative in Den Haag, he took lessons in harmony and the piano with Karel Texor and Dirk Schäfer. He and his family later left for Hamburg, where the famous conductor Wilhelm Richter further taught him music theory and composition. The nazi regime made him return to the Netherland, and he settled in Doorn. Here, he composed most of his works.

Compositions:
Douwenga felt a strong connection with Fryslân [Friesland]. Nearly all of his vocal music uses Frisian texts. In the Frisian song book of 1979, one may find two of his songs, and the bundle Sjongenderwize ["whilst singing"] contains four of his songs. His instrumental works include a string quartet and works for violin and piano. But most of his fame is down to his two piano concertos. Both of these were performed by the Promenade Orchestra under the baton of Willem van Otterloo, with Pierre Palia and Johan Otten playing the piano. Later, these concertos were performed in the United States by the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

The style of Douwenga's music romantic and classicistic. His songs sometimes tend towards the sentimental, but possess great force nonetheless.

On CD:
  • De Spylman ["the Music Maker"]

Aramiarz