News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Adolphe Blanc

Started by petershott@btinternet.com, Saturday 07 September 2013, 01:22

Previous topic - Next topic

petershott@btinternet.com

Oh, the pleasures of dipping into the unsung! Maybe he is someone whom everyone else has encountered save myself. But searching the site for the name turns up nothing, so (fingers crossed) maybe I bring a benefit to others in referring to him.

Adophe Blanc, a French composer 1828-1885. He studied in Paris, but while others gamboled about the opera house he pursued the path of chamber music. I discovered him via an impulse purchase of an ATMA disc (ACD2 2224) containing the Septet for Clarinet, French Horn, Bassoon, Violin, Viola, Cello & Double Bass Op. 40; the Trio for Clarinet, Cello & Piano Op. 23; and the Quintet for Piano, Flute, Clarinet, French Horn & Bassoon Op. 37.

Music that is not sufficient to alter the daily course of the planets, but nonetheless decidedly felicitous. I enjoyed the elegance and polish of these three works. Listening to them produced a satisfied smile upon the face following the well crafted and fastidious working out of melody. Strange to think the working life of this composer, firmly wedded to traditional forms and musical language, overlapped that of Berlioz who was busy making mayhem in the musical world.

Hopefully no-one will tell me to pull up my socks and listen to proper music!

eschiss1

I'm interested in him too, based on the sonatas and trios I've had a look at over at IMSLP.

JimL

I find nothing wrong with your socks, Peter.  And you listen to enough proper music as is.  ;D

P.S. UNLESS you're wearing gym socks with a suit!

eschiss1

re Blanc: An overture of his (first published in 1874 by Lemoine), in an arrangement for military band, has been scanned and uploaded by the French National Library. (I'd reupload it to IMSLP but I can't seem to download it ;) anyhow- have a look here.)