Graener Symphony 'Schmied Schmerz' etc from cpo

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 11 September 2013, 09:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

jerfilm

Have not seen it for sale in the colonies.   Is it available for download anywhere?

Jerry

eschiss1

Hrm. According to cpo it only just came out last month at all- don't know how long it usually takes for cpo discs to come out here in the states or be available for download. You're right, it's not at amazon, classicsonline or the other places I've checked that allow US download (hrm- I don't have an iTunes-music-download account and haven't checked there. Still, I -do- have iTunes... ah. Nope, not yet listed in the iTunes store either. I feel like I'm forgetting something obvious though...
(should I be looking for sites based -anywhere- that allow download and assume they'll allow download universally without checking IP of downloader? in that case- hrm- yes, I'll do that , may as well... I am ignorant about these things. Is there a way to download things from jpc (Graener CD link again) after setting up an account- perhaps so, they are a music store- I gather they'll sell the CD itself anyway for a bit of extra postage, or something, I forget...

Mark Thomas

I don't think that it's available yet as a download, only as a physical CD.

M. Henriksen

I've got hold of the CD, Alan. I was captivated by the opening of the symphony. I was impressed by the first installment in this series from cpo, and I'm not disappointed With vol. 2. I think Graener as a composer has surprised many of us.

Morten

eschiss1

Savoir_Faire - that's a point, 70-year rule... sorry.

Gareth Vaughan

You can still download it from IMSLP. I just have. I'm not going to be prevented from viewing something just because it is still in copyright if the publisher can't be bothered to make it available. After all, I'm not going to perform the work!

Alan Howe

I'm still very much looking forward to reading what others think of the symphony as a whole. In my view it's way better than the relatively small beer recorded before this.

TerraEpon

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Friday 06 December 2013, 23:19
You can still download it from IMSLP. I just have. I'm not going to be prevented from viewing something just because it is still in copyright if the publisher can't be bothered to make it available. After all, I'm not going to perform the work!

And despite what they like to spew over on their forum, it could very much be argued that looking at a score to study it falls within the 'educational fair use' clause anyway (as would making one's own arrangement of something, so long as it's not performed or published)

eschiss1

No, no it can't, far as I know. . Fair use ("Educational fair use?") is fairly strictly defined under law (depending of course on the particular laws; I may be paraphrasing US laws here I think and am not sure of EU laws which I'm not sure of. I think. This next stuff from copyright-related experience over on Wikipedia and general cautions there...), and contains some clauses that this would -not- get out of, such as no other work that is not under copyright would serve just as well for a similarly useful purpose, and only brief extracts can be used. (So, for illustrating Sibelius' 7th symphony on Wikipedia, only the Sibelius 7th symphony, not someone else's, will do, but only brief extracts from score are required of course, but they are allowed; for e.g. illustrating how - well, what would be the question - orchestration? One is already allowed to excerpt a page or so..., I'm sure, and I am willing to do -that-...-  - form? - wouldn't require the Schmied Schmerz symphony specifically - was handled by Graener - form in the Schmied Schmerz symphony (is there something unusual _about_ how he handles certain things compared to other works --)

I'm not a great fan of the EU 70-year rule but the people to get annoyed at, if I may also add, are not a website (which I help administrate) that has been, in the past, if you were not aware, down for two years precisely because of an argument over copyright with - guess who? - Universal Edition, Graener's publisher.

Alan Howe

sdtom

Quote from: Alan Howe on Friday 06 December 2013, 23:44
I'm still very much looking forward to reading what others think of the symphony as a whole. In my view it's way better than the relatively small beer recorded before this.

I just obtained a copy of the Graener Symphony in D minor and my first ever listen was overall a very positive one especially the first movement where the melody is passed on from the strings to the clarinet and lower strings probably with a contrabassoon take over and are slowly drowned out by the strings followed by a trumpet, horn and solo violin ehich is just a prelude for the second melody where the key shifts to major. Very nice.
Tom :)

sdtom

As I work on this review I am more and more impressed with the first movement of his d minor symphony.

sdtom

Quote from: Alan Howe on Friday 06 December 2013, 23:44

This is my feeling of the CPO recording which overall is quite positive.
https://sdtom.wordpress.com/2015/03/31/orchestral-works-ii-graener/