News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Ewald Straesser

Started by eschiss1, Wednesday 30 March 2011, 18:54

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

a few of the composers I've found out about because of IMSLP have ended up intriguing me greatly (especially when Steve's Bedroom Band over across the pond decided to record some of their music, at that. Doesn't hurt...) Ewald Straesser is not the only one but he is among them. Dates 1867-1933, a biography here in German (I did find his brief obituary today in the Neue Zeitschrift reprints at the library but that would of course be under US copyright, having been written post-1922), 6 symphonies at least (the last - and also the 4th - premiered, I believe, posthumously, the 6th conducted by Abendroth; also according to 1933 issues of the NZM; I don't know, in fact, if any of his symphonies after the 2nd were published, and that the 3rd is in A- major or minor- I only know because a website mentioning a broadcast of it said so... but anyway.) There's also a clarinet quintet, 5 string quartets (at least? i think only 5 - was corresponding with someone yesterday who tells me he's played through all of them, with no.4 the best; I've skimmed the score, prepared the 1st violin part to the 1st movement using Lilypond, and heard the 2nd and 4th movements online; it really is a fine piece and very recommendable in my honest opinion...

the earlier, by 19 years (publishing ; I don't know composition dates) first quartet (op.12/1 in E minor) seems close, in places, to Brahms and Reger among others.  Also a really good piece and worth hearing. (see here :) )
and so I wonder - alas the publication date assures I shall probably be wondering for some time, ... probably - about Ewald Straesser. Sein musikalisches Schaffen. (Herausgegeben von Frau E. Straesser.) -A list of compositions. With a portrait.- (published and edited by the composer's wife in 1937, a copy of which is in the British Library, apparently. Might actually conceivably- just conceivably- be in London sooner than I thought if the Gothic sym comes through at the Proms and - erm - anyway - but not long enough I'm sure to satisfy even a  brief other wishlist of items, alas... )

Eric

Mark Thomas

Straesser is well worth investigating. I have a couple of his symphonies (the first two, IIRC) from radio broadcasts and they're very worthwhile, late-romantic creations, written on quite a big scale and with plenty of drive.

eschiss1

if one of those symphonies (not sure how many he wrote; at least 6?...) is the G major op22, Frederick Stock performed it in 1912 in the US with the Chicago symphony I believe. Other "name" conductors gave premieres or local premieres or other. He dropped out of repertoire-sight after his death it seems but he once had that much musicianly esteem (and from what I hear in quartets 1 and 4- the rest of no.4 is now at IMSLP - deserved it.) Glad to hear his music now, anyway!