Works for Violin & Piano by Guido Alberto Fano (1875–1961)

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 19 September 2013, 10:38

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I recall hearing very good things about his piano quintet at one point, then nothing more since? Anyhow, good news!

alberto

I have a Phoenix label recording of the Piano Quintet (featuring Aldo Ciccolini) and the String Quartet.
Decidedly worthy music, since many years unlikely to be heard live even in Italy.
G.A.Fano (who was, at least in Italy, a famous pianist and an influential teacher) composed also a Piano Concerto I would like to hear. 

Gareth Vaughan

If you can find that Piano Concerto, Alberto, I suspect Hyperion might be interested in it.

Gareth Vaughan

I can find nothing listed at ICCU, but Library of Congress has an "Andante e Allegro con fuoco for pianoforte & orchestra". Unfortunately, as with so many Library of Congress records, it does not say whether this is a full score or a 2-piano score (I suspect the latter). It appears to have been published in Milan (c. 1936) by Casa musicale Sonzogno. Do you know where Fano's MSS are?

eschiss1

They also list a cello sonata- I wonder how that is...

The (definitely, admitted to be a) 2-piano score of the piano and orchestra work mentioned (copyright 1960) listed in Worldcat has 45 pages, and the score at LoC (copyright? 1936...) has 45 pages- so - yes, probably a reduction.

eschiss1

Gareth Vaughan

eschiss1

actually, this is more promising... "Archivio Fano of Venice"

From their worklist: Concerted works:

"Pezzo di concerto per pianoforte e orchestra ([1900], pubblicato con il titolo Andante e Allegro con fuoco , ed. Sonzogno, Milano, 1936). "

I am guessing they hold some of his manuscripts.

alberto

Another Phoenix label Cd dedicated to Fano (Piano Sonata in E Major, Four Fantasies for piano op.6) in the booklet speaks about an Andante e Allegro con Fuoco for piano and orch. as receiving an honourable mention in a 1900 Vienna compeition.
I read about a Piano Concerto in the usually reliable Dictionay of Music Della Corte-Gatti 1930 edition (but it should be the former work).

black

Fano' s Andante e Allegro con Fuoco for piano and orchestra can be heard on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9fB2_1ptXg

Claude Torres

The Brilliant Classics program by Pietro de Maria is identical to the previously named Phoenix 96204 with Roberto Bertuzzi, Piano (which was the 1st world recording)
My preference goes to Roberto Bertuzzi (perferformance as well recording)

Claude

Tapiola

Fans of Pizzetti's Canti della Stagione Alta will find the Fano's Piano Quintet (with a trumpet at the ending) a real treat. This work is a must hear for lovers of ultra-romantic music. Just I listened to it and I was blown away.