News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

String sextets

Started by Glazier, Tuesday 27 April 2010, 05:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 27 April 2010, 23:34
There is one by Anton Rubinstein in D, but I believe it's as yet unrecorded. I skimmed the score briefly as I did his string quintet op.59 (but more briefly) about a decade ago by interlibrary loan, but not enough to get a real impression of it (unlike the quintet which seems quite good to me.)

I've collected Anton Rubinstein on CD's for years, but still haven't found his String Sextet in D Major, op. 97. So I wonder whether it has been recorded yet. I even wonder when his sextet has been performed where and when for the last time...

eschiss1

Quote from: Peter1953 on Wednesday 28 April 2010, 06:44
Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 27 April 2010, 23:34
There is one by Anton Rubinstein in D, but I believe it's as yet unrecorded. I skimmed the score briefly as I did his string quintet op.59 (but more briefly) about a decade ago by interlibrary loan, but not enough to get a real impression of it (unlike the quintet which seems quite good to me.)

I've collected Anton Rubinstein on CD's for years, but still haven't found his String Sextet in D Major, op. 97. So I wonder whether it has been recorded yet. I even wonder when his sextet has been performed where and when for the last time...

I know of no recording of the string quintet either (except for a MIDI I made of the first movement...) Some of the piano trios and string quartets have been recorded but not all, I believe. ... Anyway.

Martinu's sextet is a good example of his style and a good piece, too.  I haven't heard Milhaud's - only recorded once to my knowledge and on a CD without wide distribution, I believe ? - but imagine it to be typical of his fine muse...

Eric

Glazier

Agree about Martinu; heard it on the radio the other day.

Any D'Indy fans out there? There are some good bits with harmonics.

eschiss1

Quote from: Glazier on Thursday 29 April 2010, 01:01
Agree about Martinu; heard it on the radio the other day.

Any D'Indy fans out there? There are some good bits with harmonics.

I'm very much a d'Indy fan, esp. of his chamber music (the first two string quartets, the violin sonata, other works.) The string sextet, if I remember and am not confusing it with someone else's, has this really wonderfully withdrawn (mystical?...) episode in the finale, in my opinion...

Eric

wunderkind

Feliks Dobrzynski - String Sextet (Acte Préalable) - beautiful romantic chamber work.

chill319

Peter1953

I can only hope that one day in the near future these works will be performed and recorded. A challenge for Toccata, Martin?

Peter1953

I've just heard the String Sextet in D Major by Alexandre Pierre François Boëly (1785-1858). Not early romantic as you might expect, but late classical. It's very pleasant chamber music, with a lot of tuneful melodies. Music that makes you feel relaxed, something for a rainy Sunday afternoon. I think most members will enjoy it.
Excerpts are here http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Pierre-Alexandre-Boely-Kammermusik/hnum/7746928

ScipioAfricanus

Arnold Krug wrote arguably the best String Sextet.

oldman

Composer Eduard Franck (1817–1893) also wrote 2 String Sextets, one of which can be heard on the Audite label.

Alan Howe

Glazier

Thanks for Krug hint. How about Behm's sextet- he was joint prize winner in the same competition. 

chill319

That Krug slow movement is a stunner.

giles.enders

I have just been looking through the MertonMusic Catalogue of scores and note there are nearly forty sextets many from composers I have never heard of.
Giles Enders

Glazier

Thanks to Silvertrust, You tube and IMSLPP we are in a golden era for unsungs, and sextets are no exceptions. I recently listened to Korngold almost impossible to play, but mesmerising, and Koessler's glorious one - Brahms cum Reger cum Strauss sound. Also Dessof's 2 vc quintet is  splendid almost a parody of Brahms. What at pity Brahms didn't  write  a 2vc quintet.