Henryk Pachulski 1859-1921

Started by giles.enders, Sunday 22 September 2013, 14:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

Perhaps the later orchestration by Dąbrowski was done because the Full Score and parts are missing. If there was a printed 2-piano reduction published  by Jurgenson, my guess is that there was also a MS Full Score with orchestration by the composer and a set of parts which, maybe, got lost. This has been the fate of more than one PC, as we all know.

eschiss1

according to Wikipedia, all of his brother Wladyslaw's music was lost in manuscript and otherwise. (Wladyslaw is of interest for other reasons as a friend of Tchaikovsky etc. I gather at least on a quick skim, will come back to that later!) Always quite possible, I agree.

giles.enders

Wladyslaw  Pachulski was no friend of Tchaikovsky, quite the reverse, it is suggested by several sources that it was he who was instrumental in Mdme Von Meck cutting Tchaikovsky's allowance.

eschiss1

right, I jumped the gun on that one. Someone somehow involved with Tchaikovsky's life was all I knew to say.

Gerhard Griesel

Does anyone know where one can listen to the Pachulski piano concerto (Kuzobek's)?

herrarte

You mean the Fantasie, right? Amazon.com or emusic.

Gerhard Griesel

Yes. Unfortunately, Amazon does not have sound clips, and South Africans are not allowed to listen to emusic.  JPC, which is usually very good, does not have the CD. But thanks for trying to help.

Martin Eastick

Amazon.com still has 2 copies of the actual CD of this release!

eschiss1

Countries are beginning to outlaw sound formats?
... bwah?

adriano

The first half of item No. 4 ("Scena dello Tsarevitch") of Respighi's ballet "La Pentola magica" (The magic pot) is the orchestration of a piece by Pachulski. No idea what was its orginal title.
Adriano Zurich

eschiss1

It's his (Pachulski's) piano prelude Op. 8 No.1 in C minor. See here for both the complete set and a different edition of no.1. :)

adriano

eschiss1

Welcome, hope that helps some - Eric S

mpiekarz74

I found it interesting that the second piece from Opus 16, Album Leaves, was dedicated to "Jaroslaw de Zielinsky", Jarosław Zieliński (1847–1922), who had moved permanently to the U.S. c. 1864, and even fought for the Union side in the U.S. Civil War.

giles.enders

There is a detailed biography about Zielinsky which can be found on:    ampoleagle.com