News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Eivind Groven

Started by M. Henriksen, Thursday 06 May 2010, 16:26

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

The Norwegian composer Eivind Grovens overture "Hjalar-Ljod" has been I favourite of mine since childhood. The overture is quite frequently played on Norwegian Radio. In 2006 BIS released a recording with Stavanger SO conducted by Eivind Aadland including the composers Symphony no. 1 "Towards the mountains". I was deeply moved by this music, hoping BIS will record more of this highly individual composers works.
I have also purchased the Simax recording of the 2nd symphony and the piano concerto and the 1988 recording of Grovens "Draumkvædet" by the Royal Philharmonic.

Any thoughts of Eivind Groven and his music?
There is a quite informative article on wikipedia (in English!) revealing a great deal of music that still needs to be recorded.

(Please excuse me for my english!)

Morten

petershott@btinternet.com

Greetings Morten - and no need to apologise for your written English for it is excellent. In contrast there must be very few of us parochial English folk who can manage to write a simple sentence in Norwegian!

I confess to our shame that there is a general ignorance of Norwegian music in the UK, apart of course from Grieg and to some extent Svendsen. But I do have in my collection the two Groven CDs to which you refer. And I have greatly enjoyed them. The two symphonies are wonderful works (I especially enjoy the solemn and heartfelt second movement of the 2nd). The piano concerto is also deserving of wider recognition. It seems, from what I've read, the Draumkvaedet is a key work - but alas so far it has eluded me. I must find that 1988 recording, and thanks for alerting me to it.

I gather Groven is quite a name in his native country? A great pity that not much of it is heard here. What other works of his demand to be recorded? Thanks to companies such as BIS and Naxos there are fairly comprehensive surveys of Saeverud (I rate him highly, and those BIS CDs are excellent!) and Tveitt. I've also much enjoyed the Braein symphonies and his opera Anne Pedersdotter. Hopefully the projected series of Chandos recordings of Halvorsen will result in his music becoming better known. And one other Norwegian composer - I recently discovered the 4th Violin Concerto of Bjarne Brustad, and a beautiful piece it is. But now I've just about exhausted my knowledge. I gather Norway is rich in musical activity, and it is regrettable so little of it is known. So do educate us!

Peter

M. Henriksen

Thanks for your reply Peter.
If I can I will certainly spread the word when it comes to unsung Norwegian composers. Glad that Groven has a place in your record collection. My personal favourite is the slow movement of his 1st symphony (with the tuba solo). Draumkvædet is considered to be a key work as you say. The recording to my knowledge is still available at amazon.
Of unrecorded works by Groven there is quite a lot:

Renaissance, symphonic poem in 6 parts (1935)
Historical Visions, symphonic poem in 3 parts (1936)
Fjelltonar/Mountain tunes, symphonic poem (1938)
Natures Temple, for chorus and orchestra (1945)
Jotunheimen, symphonic poem (1955)

and much more!
I was actually in correspondence with the BIS-administration before Christmas, and at that time they had no immediate plans of recording more Groven.

When it comes to Norwegian classical romantic music, most composers are overshadowed by Grieg. But the last 10 years, some record companies have done a great job recording a lot of unsung music. You mentioned BIS and the recordings of Sæverud and Tveitt, and lately Sterling has issued recordings of Eivind Alnæs symphonies and orchestral music of Ole Olsen.
The just started Chandos Halvorsen-cycle will surely spread his music to new listeners. The music is very approachable, Halvorsen was a master of orchestration and melodic gift.
CPO has just released a Gerhard Schjelderup CD and they have promised more to come. (Including Hjalmar Borgstrøm and Ludvig Irgens-Jensen)
Here are some more unsung composers still waiting for recordings:

Johannes Haarklou 1847-1925: 4 symphonies. Symphonic poem: In Westminster Abbey, 5 operas
Sigurd Islandsmoen 1881-1964: 2 symphonies, Requiem (recorded by the label 2L, recommended! Check out excerpts on jpc.de)
Catharinius Elling 1858-1942: Symphonies, violin concerto (there exists an old recording of this one)++.
Johan Selmer 1844-1910: Symphonic poems in the Berlioz style! (Simax has recorded some in a coupling with Johan Svendsen)

Bjarne Brustad (1895-1978) as you mention has composed 9 symphonies, 4 violin concertos. and the opera "Atlantis". I don't think any of them have been recorded so far with the exception of the 4th violin concerto you mentioned. A job for BIS! Brustad mainly composed in a neo-classical style  and using Norwegian folk music in most of his works. Some composers with similar styles are Klaus Egge (1906-1979) with 5 symphonies (no. 2 & 4 recorded by Aurora and available), 3 Piano Concertos (the 2nd recorded by Naxos!), 1 Violin Concerto and David Monrad-Johansen (1888-1974). The latter composed the big oratorio "Voluspå" in 1927 and it's out there on a very rare CD.. In addition I can recommend his piano concerto and the symphonic poem "Pan". Both have been recorded by Simax.

For all interested I would highly recommend Ludvig Irgens-Jensens music. Simax has issued a record a few years back including the fantastic Passacaglia for orchestra. Eivind Aadland conducts Bergen PO in very good performances.

Simax has also recently issued a premier recording of Hjalmar Borgstrøms Violin concerto and two of his symphonic poems. The same label has recorded Borgstrøms opera "Thora paa Rimol" and they are now recording the composers opera "The Fisherman" from 1900. The opera was first performed in 2003!!

I will gladly try to help on any question regarding Norwegian music! Hope this gives you some inspiration to explore!

Morten

Alan Howe

Thanks, Morten, for all the information! And welcome to the forum: your English is very good!
Alan Howe

M. Henriksen

Thank you!
And regarding my English; I can achieve a lot with spell check :)
Glad to have found this forum, a lot of very interesting information exchanged here. Finally I'm able to discuss classical music from the depths of the Norwegian forests.

Morten

Syrelius

Quote from: M. Henriksen on Thursday 06 May 2010, 18:12
Johannes Haarklou 1847-1925: 4 symphonies. Symphonic poem: In Westminster Abbey, 5 operas

Hello Morten,

from what I've heard, Sterling is planning a CD with symphonies by Haarklou with the same forces as on the Olsen and Alnaes CD:s.

I would also like to add to your list Sigurd Lie's excellent symphony on the 2L label.

M. Henriksen

The news about a Haarklou-recording is most welcome. New information for me (I also saw it mentioned in another discussion on this forum) I have to do some research on that one. Thanks for the information!
As you rightly say,  the recording of Sigurd Lie is a good one. 2L has really made some interesting releases.
Mentioning the surname Lie, Simax has a few years ago recorded the second of the symphonies of Harald Lie 1902-1942 (not in family with Sigurd), a composer much inspired by.. lets say Reger (Not very usual around here!). Unfortunately it's quickly become a rare CD to get hold of.

Morten

M. Henriksen

After a quick search it seems that the Norwegian Cultural Council has economically supported a Haarklou-recording to be issued by Sterling. Absolutely great news!

Ilja

I have an old radio recording of Haarklou's fourth symphony, and it is a surprising work. At first a thought of a Grieg with more gravitas, but his voice is far more original. This will be a real addition to the catalogue!