Rott Symphony/Acousence

Started by sdtom, Saturday 19 October 2013, 17:01

Previous topic - Next topic

mbhaub

All in one review...

There are disturbing noises from the contrabassoon...
...the grumbly contrabassoon...
...the low growl from the contrabassoon...

I don't recall ever reading any review of anything, anywhere which mentioned the contra so many times. Whoever the contra player is in Mainz must sure play well, and loudly. Love it! I'm a contra player and it's nice that someone notices the sound.

eschiss1

So long as he's more pro-contrabassoon than the contrary, all's good.

sdtom

Quote from: mbhaub on Thursday 24 October 2013, 22:08
All in one review...

I don't recall ever reading any review of anything, anywhere which mentioned the contra so many times. Whoever the contra player is in Mainz must sure play well, and loudly. Love it! I'm a contra player and it's nice that someone notices the sound.

I think you'll enjoy the recording. I learned to love the contrabassoon through the music of Bernard Herrmann.
Tom

sdtom

Quote from: mbhaub on Thursday 24 October 2013, 22:08
All in one review...

I went back this afternoon and listened  to the Samuel recording somewhat carefully and if I concentrated I could hear the contrabassoon but just barely.  I'm still looking for a good price on the Jarvi. As of now I can say that I have 3 Rott recordings.
Tom

theqbar

I have 6 versions of the Rott symphony (Segerstam, Weigle, Russell- Davies, Layer, Meister and Jarvi). I happened occasionally, in a 2nd hand store, on the Montpellier orchestra- Friedemann Layer version, and though it's hard to find, i think it's the best. Especially the last movement and the fugue in the middle of the movement is breathtaking, slow and grandiose. If you can find this recording, don't hesitate.

sdtom

something to keep my eye open for.
Tom :)

mbhaub

The new Acousence recording arrived by post and it was certainly worth the wait and cost. It is a very fine performance. It's live, which is amazing - the work isn't standard repertoire, yet the orchestral execution is superbly accomplished - there's no sense of struggle or challenge. If there are any errors you won't know it. There are some balance issues, which is the fault of Rott as much as anyone. In the 2nd movement especially the brass overpower strings too often. And the contrabassoon! Whoever the player is really is good - beautiful, warm, rounded tone. Pitch very secure. And what's especially gratifying is a very, very long held note in the 3rd movement and all in one breath! Had to use circular breathing. Holding a low pitch on contra for more than 10 seconds is a real challenge - it goes on far longer here. The conducting is just fine - as good as anyone else. The whole team - orchestra, conductor, recording engineer, program annotator - should be congratulated. Excellent release.

Alan Howe

Well, although I don't have this recording, I can hear from the substantial excerpts at the Acousence website that its besetting problem is the weakness of the orchestra's string section - in particular the violins. This would rule it out for me, whatever the other virtues of the performance. It's a familiar story with lesser ensembles, I'm afraid. For a far superior response, including a third movement that is truly 'fresh and lively' rather than lumbering and elephantine, I would look elsewhere. My choice - and I have heard Samuel, S. Weigle, Segerstam and P. Järvi - would be Järvi on RCA.

Paul Barasi

Quote from: sdtom on Thursday 24 October 2013, 20:36
http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/10/24/symphony-in-f-majorrott/]
My take on the new Rott.

Quote from: mbhaub on Thursday 31 October 2013, 21:33
The new Acousence recording arrived by post

Do the site rules for posting in 'New Recordings & Broadcasts' require even a decade-old CD to be called new?

Alan Howe

Apologies - I hadn't noticed the release date.

Paul Barasi

sdtom

The slip was mine Paul. In my defense I found it in the new Naxos October 2013 release guide. Perhaps Acousence is new to Naxos?

My other comment is I'm glad we agree on the fine contra bassoon playing.
Tom :)

Paul Barasi

Rott Symphony CD (Hansjörg Albrecht/Munich SO/OehmsClassics, possibly from Toblach) expected late 2014. coupled with 'lieder cycle' - possibly suggesting all 8 performable songs, which would mean 4 premieres.

sdtom

Quote from: Alan Howe on Thursday 31 October 2013, 22:14
Well, although I don't have this recording, I can hear from the substantial excerpts at the Acousence website that its besetting problem is the weakness of the orchestra's string section - in particular the violins. This would rule it out for me, whatever the other virtues of the performance. It's a familiar story with lesser ensembles, I'm afraid. For a far superior response, including a third movement that is truly 'fresh and lively' rather than lumbering and elephantine, I would look elsewhere. My choice - and I have heard Samuel, S. Weigle, Segerstam and P. Järvi - would be Järvi on RCA.

Upon repeated listens I tend to agree with Alan. Perhaps I'll seek out the Jarvi.
Tom