News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Fibich recommendations

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 22 October 2013, 08:51

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

Quote from: Alan Howe on Friday 25 October 2013, 22:15
Thanks for all the suggestions. What I really need is firm recommendations of specific CDs to explore...

Well, I have no hesitation in rceommending the Regis disc of piano music played by Kvapil, Alan, as noted above. But then, I've never heard a disc of Fibich that I didn't enjoy.  ;D

sdtom

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2014/08/12/symphony-no-2-in-e-flat-majorfibich/

This is my second review in the Fibich cycle that Naxos has as a on going series. I understand that there will be 10 total.
Tom

Ilja

I don't know the Naxos recording, but I can only wholeheartedly voice my support in favor of Fibich's Second Symphony. One to rival Dvorak's best efforts, and there are a number of really good recordings (Järvi, Sejna, Waldhans). The Piano Quartet (his Op. 1) is a fine work, too.

sdtom

I am beginning work on his first symphony, yet another new experience to me.
Tom

Amphissa

I too like his shorter orchestral works, like The Storm, Vesna (Spring) and Toman and the Wood Nymph.

Fibich wrote a fair number of piano pieces that got grouped as Moods, Impressions and Reminiscences. These are pretty good. But I was more intrigued by a very interesting (to me) Supraphon recording of orchestrations of some of the piano pieces, conducted by the person who orchestrated them. To my knowledge, this is the only recording of these orchestrations ever released.

1. Quasi presto e con fuoco from "Moods"
2. Maestoso from "Reminiscences"
3. Poco allegro from "Moods"
4. Andantino from "Reminiscences"
5. Moderato from "Reminiscences"

Film Symphony Orchestra
Jaroslav Ridky, Conductor

I think this recording is long out of print. I'm not sure if they are in the old archive. I can upload this recording, if there is any interest.

vicharris

Mark Thomas

I'd be intrigued too, but I'm afraid that for copyright reasons we don't allow the posting of material made from commercial recordings, no matter how old or unobtainable they are. Sorry.

eschiss1

With any luck, Naxos'  project of digitizing many such OOP recordings (including some of those we uploaded in the earlier days, relatively, of our download section) in their "archive service" - or some similar project - may get to it in time...

Amphissa

This is now available at an alternative location. I'm sure you all know where that is.

ronanm

I would add my vote for the piano quintet. The original version, with clarinet and horn paired with violin and cello is far more engaging aurally than the string quintet version. It's a wonderful work to play, too, for those of you who play chamber music.

While listening to the Moods, Impressions and Reminiscences is probably daunting, playing them is fascinating. It's like reading a person's diary. Gradually, the themes, moods and cross-references begin to build up into a genuine sense of person. They are lovely pieces, but clearly not designed to be listened to en masse, which is how, unfortunately, they are recorded.

Alan Howe

Thanks, and welcome to the forum.

sdtom

a welcome addition to our forum.
Tom